New boat angler

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
How new are you to the boating world? By that I mean if you have the basics down (don't anchor in a drift lane, etc) I'd say you're ready for the community holes on the Mo. And if any fancy fiberglass boats get too close, especially blue tillers, bounce a jig off the driver's giant head.

What's this you say?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's this you say?

Cabbag3e.jpg

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
plain and simple, you just have to put the time in and try not to piss people off, but I'm sure it'll happen. We've all been there.

I started fishing the river in my own boat when I was 19, in a 14' crestliner with a 35hp evinrude. Man did we catch fish! but it took a lot of practice, lots of slow runs up and down the river through bismarck to learn the channel and get a feel of where all the underwater bogeys were. Had to push off sandbars on more than one occasion. Like others mentioned, watch other boats, watch how others are fishing and try to copy, then start using your own techniques and you get it figured out.

To this day, i still pucker up when going more than 35mph between umary and little heart bottoms. The dead-heads will reach up and grab you!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to get use to the boat go to nelson lake before you go on the river. warm water lake open year around Just to get use to the boat, easier to dock boat in and out so you can get a feel for it. now on the river part when you go out the first time go up stream easier to see how shallow the water is and if you encounter a sand bar you can work your way around it for deeper water. It is better then going down steam and getting struck with the current pushing you on the sand bar ( no fun there). The river will show you if there are things under the water- look for v's in the water (Stumps or logs) After the flood a lot less of those. generally a sand bar will look like a line in the water with ripples on it. To be straight with you its hard telling you easier show you. Fishing the jig is the one thing that catches fish, one thing with that is make sure you feel the bottom as you bounce it along you mite have to use a heavier jig to do that. vertical is what you want to be so you will need a trolling motor for control to keep it straight up and down. like some guys have said go slow until you know were you are going. Man when you start trying to tell someone about fishing on the river you could write a book. I personally would stay away from the tailrace until you know how to use your boat and know what to look for. The tailrace has a lot of rocks under the water and if you are going to hit something a sand bar is better. one other thing bring oars with you because you will hit a sandbar they help getting off that sandbar. Have fun with that boat and that boy the river is beautiful place.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your fishing around Bismarck I would talk to someone at the ramp and try and follow them. Its usually pretty easy to follow the channel. Just North of Misty water and south of the expressway bridge can get shallow.Once you get a good track you just need to watch for obstacles and changes.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty new. I fished the river last year so I know how to find sandbars. (There easy to find). I have avoided a lot of areas with boat concentration because of this. This is why I am asking for help. BTW fly carp I see we have a similar interest. Fly fishing for carp is on of the most thrilling types of fishing you can do.
A fellow carp on the fly fan. Awesome! As all these guys have said, your best bet is spending a little time patrolling with the electronics. And also while you're cruising, break up the river into zones. Don't look at it as one big body, but rather a collection of features. Sandbars, holes, eddies, current seams, mud lines, etc. All these features mean ambush points for predatory fish.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best advice I got when i first started fishing the river in a boat was:
1. Go slow the first couple times out, we all like to give it the gas.. don't,
2. Drive upstream till you figure out the channel, much easier to push off a sand bar with current helping you,
3. Have you stuff ready to load/unload prior to getting to the ramp,

My best advice :
In all honestly i was intimated fishing the river at first coming from only fishing little lakes before and to then dealing with moving water (current), everyone having expensive supped up boats and me in a little lund mr.pike, hearing horror stories of people getting cussed at loading docks to people taking out lower units on dead heads. However, once i figured out I have just as much right to fish the river as everyone else and a couple successful outings, i grew some confidence. Remember its a learning process but the best way to learn is by putting a oar in the water., and once you get the hang of it, It can become a lot of run !!

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another tip for the river is having good GPS & knowing how to operate it so you can record trails and drop waypoints. This way you can slowly work your way up the river fishing spots and trying to follow boats as they go past you & at the end of the day you can start a new trail and record a fresh "navigating" trail all the way back to the boat ramp. Don't forget to stop and drop a waypoint on any deadheads as you come across them, that way hopefully your boat won't hit it later. As others have stated if you fish the river enough eventually you are going to hit something no matter how well you know how to read water or how good your navigating trail is on your GPS. So don't get discouraged if you get hung up on a sandbar we've all been there!

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I can't wait to get out. But now we get another shot of winter. Ugh

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
start out with a little heavier jig to get the hang of it. Don't worry so much about a plastic or gulp, a hardworking fathead minnow will do wonders on a plain jig.

Pick your favorite color, white is mine. Watch other people, imitate what they do in other spots and before you know it you will be finding your own current seams and edges.

TONS of info on youtube.

River fish migrate in the spring. Move until you find them, talk to people at the ramp and at the bait shops.

Post up a report here and let us know how things went. My son is 9 also and hold his own pitching a jig. You might want to break a hook off a jig and let your son practice at home pitching to shorten the learning curve to maximize your time on the water.

My son fished for cats at the house until he can cast almost better than me.

Suntan lotion bug spray and wet wipes should be always available. I found a breathable life vest for my boy at Cabelas online.

Have a blast the Big Mo is a great place to explore.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How new are you to the boating world? By that I mean if you have the basics down (don't anchor in a drift lane, etc) I'd say you're ready for the community holes on the Mo. And if any fancy fiberglass boats get too close, especially blue tillers, bounce a jig off the driver's giant head.

Amen to this. His head is a good target, and with tiny t-rex hands, he surely won't be able to throw anything back.

More to the boating aspect, I don't know that I would tell a new boater to go to the chutes in the tailrace, to earn his chops. It's not exactly Snake Canyon, but things can go south there, in a hurry. Not exactly the place to be, while learning how to not flood a motor, or start a flooded motor.

Maybe learn in a lake. If worst comes to worst, you're only going to go where the wind ends up pushing you. If you have to learn a new boat - or an old boat that's new to you - and you have to be on the river, go upstream from the ramp. I'm fortunate enough to have survived several dead-floats down the Missouri. At least if you're upstream, eventually you'll be heading back to the ramp.

Also, most fellow boaters are not a-holes. If you need a hand, ask. Most will help you, rather than sit back and watch.

Two more things, if you're new to backing up a trailer, practice in a parking lot. If you're new to launching or loading a boat, don't learn at Fox Island, on July 4th. Go on a weekday morning, when the ramp isn't as crowded.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
start out with a little heavier jig to get the hang of it. Don't worry so much about a plastic or gulp, a hardworking fathead minnow will do wonders on a plain jig.

Pick your favorite color, white is mine. Watch other people, imitate what they do in other spots and before you know it you will be finding your own current seams and edges.

TONS of info on youtube.

River fish migrate in the spring. Move until you find them, talk to people at the ramp and at the bait shops.

Post up a report here and let us know how things went. My son is 9 also and hold his own pitching a jig. You might want to break a hook off a jig and let your son practice at home pitching to shorten the learning curve to maximize your time on the water.

My son fished for cats at the house until he can cast almost better than me.

Suntan lotion bug spray and wet wipes should be always available. I found a breathable life vest for my boy at Cabelas online.

Have a blast the Big Mo is a great place to explore.

What type of vest did you find. I found an inflatable for myself but they seem a little big for him. Poor kid is in a neoprene one now.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
How to spot a FNG in the parking lot? Look at his skag. LOL but truthful. A lot of great info. already i would add afew things.
1.there is always at least one fish behind a rock jetty no matter what time of year
2. use a heavy jig( and 1/2 ounce is heavy) Youtube "slipping" current.
3.DO NOT anchor unless you want your boy to speak a new language.
4.Concentrate on slack water!!! behind sandbars, bends or turns in the river, rock jetty's etc.
5.things to carry. waders,small shovel, tow strap
Do not be afraid to ask for advise or help, most people will point you in the right direction. Good luck!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69