Remington 700 problem

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me... and I know close to jack shit about reaming chambers... the chamber may be a bit too small, but also too long. Yes, the 7mm Rem Mag is supposed to headspace off the belt the first shot, but after that, you should be able to headspace off the shoulder. Since this gun allows the shoulder to go forward at least .010, it's pushing the shoulder forward by stretching (too much) just above the belt and getting stuck.
So assuming the main problem is too much headspace (off the shoulder), is there anything a DIY-er like me can do about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Take the dang thing back where you bought it and tell them you want a new one that's undamaged!

Yeah, I'm with you. Bought it at Scheels. You think it's better to go back to them, or straight to Remington? -- I hope they don't try to give me some bullshit about voiding the warranty because I got the barrel cut and threaded.

- - - Updated - - -

I would use it as a reason to get a good bbl spun on there.

I've certainly thought about it. Wish I hadn't stuck money into getting this one threaded... There's lots of choices out there. What would you recommend? -- Please don't say Proof Research. Those look pretty awesome, but damn are they spendy.

Last edited:

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To me... and I know close to jack shit about reaming chambers... the chamber may be a bit too small, but also too long. Yes, the 7mm Rem Mag is supposed to headspace off the belt the first shot, but after that, you should be able to headspace off the shoulder. Since this gun allows the shoulder to go forward at least .010, it's pushing the shoulder forward by stretching (too much) just above the belt and getting stuck.
So assuming the main problem is too much headspace (off the shoulder), is there anything a DIY-er like me can do about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'm with you. Bought it at Scheels. You think it's better to go back to them, or straight to Remington? -- I hope they don't try to give me some bullshit about voiding the warranty because I got the barrel cut and threaded.

- - - Updated - - -

I've certainly thought about it. Wish I hadn't stuck money into getting this one threaded... There's lots of choices out there. What would you recommend? -- Please don't say Proof Research. Those look pretty awesome, but damn are they spendy.

Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Benchmark, Hart, Douglas, and Lija all have top notch barrels.. They will run anywhere from $275-350 for stainless barrel. You will then have about $250 in chamber, thread, and crown. I would work with your gunsmith of choice and let him order the barrel and usually them have their favorites they like to use.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given that it's already threaded on the muzzle, I'd probably take it back to whomever threaded it, let them take a couple of threads off of the breech and re-chamber. Lots faster most likely, and, sending it to Rem you run the risk of them just replacing the bbl and you're back to paying for another muzzle-threading anyway.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given that it's already threaded on the muzzle, I'd probably take it back to whomever threaded it, let them take a couple of threads off of the breech and re-chamber. Lots faster most likely, and, sending it to Rem you run the risk of them just replacing the bbl and you're back to paying for another muzzle-threading anyway.

Good point. The other thing is send it in to Remington and let them replace the barrel. Then take it to a gunsmith and have him put on a good barrel. Sell the NEW Remington barrel for a $100 that will pay for threading.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Benchmark, Hart, Douglas, and Lija all have top notch barrels.. They will run anywhere from $275-350 for stainless barrel. You will then have about $250 in chamber, thread, and crown. I would work with your gunsmith of choice and let him order the barrel and usually them have their favorites they like to use.

Rock Creek is another good one. Look at bugholes.com. they have a bunch of bbls on hand

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would not mess with it, remington is known on the lower end guns to put something on them that isn't supposed to be there. Google it, it is common on sps and varmint. I would just call remington and they will send a slip to scheels and get you taken care of. Their customer service is top notch.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. I'm going to send it in and see what happens.
I am afraid they may just ream the chamber a bit more and not fix the excessive headspace issue, so the cases may not stick anymore, but it still won't shoot worth a shit. And now I got a hard-on for a Bartlein barrel...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. I'm going to send it in and see what happens.
I am afraid they may just ream the chamber a bit more and not fix the excessive headspace issue, so the cases may not stick anymore, but it still won't shoot worth a shit. And now I got a hard-on for a Bartlein barrel...

i really like my bartlien

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a heads-up. If you call Remington about a possible warranty issue, don't mention shooting hand loads through it. Apparently that will void the warranty. When I started to go into how the extraction problem was happening with some of my hand loads too, the guy I talked to was nice enough to give me that warning and write down that it's only ever shot factory loads.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a heads-up. If you call Remington about a possible warranty issue, don't mention shooting hand loads through it. Apparently that will void the warranty. When I started to go into how the extraction problem was happening with some of my hand loads too, the guy I talked to was nice enough to give me that warning and write down that it's only ever shot factory loads.

Why would you risk ruining a fine Rem 700 with hazardous handloads?! Perish the thought! Must be some tacticool ninja operator thinhg I'm unfamiliar with...

I can't say I'm real bothered by companies saying handloads CAN void a warranty. Sounds like Remington, like other companies, has a "look the other way" policy unless/until they really think your handloads lunked the rifle.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I would ask Remington to thread your new barrel before they return it. They have several models of 700's that they sell with threaded barrels so it shouldn't be an issue.

Ater all you bought one of their rifles "knowing" it was a quality product and put money in it making it like one of their threaded models. They should send the new one back just like the one that went in.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would ask Remington to thread your new barrel before they return it. They have several models of 700's that they sell with threaded barrels so it shouldn't be an issue.

Ater all you bought one of their rifles "knowing" it was a quality product and put money in it making it like one of their threaded models. They should send the new one back just like the one that went in.

Yep, I did. I did a whole write up including a spreadsheet showing headspace measurements between new and once-fired brass -- yes I'm a bit of a nerd that way.
Anyway, I told them if they have to replace the barrel, that's fine, but I expect it to be cut down to 24 inches and threaded, and they better return my thread adaptor and thread protector.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyway, I told them if they have to replace the barrel, that's fine, but I expect it to be cut down to 24 inches and threaded, and they better return my thread adaptor and thread protector.

Good luck with that.

You'd have been exponentially further ahead time and frustration-wise to have let whomever threaded the muzzle re-chamber it for you as well.

I hope I'm wrong, and feel free to rub my nose in it forever if I am.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck with that.

You'd have been exponentially further ahead time and frustration-wise to have let whomever threaded the muzzle re-chamber it for you as well.

I hope I'm wrong, and feel free to rub my nose in it forever if I am.

You may be right, but to me, it's the principal of the matter. This is a new rifle and had this problem since day one. I'm giving Remington a chance to make it right.
If I'm going to pay someone to do anything else with this rifle, it will be spinning a new Bartlein on it.

adarms1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your problem is not barrel or headspace related, it's a timing problem that's common to pretty much every new Remington on the market. Basically the bolt handle is sitting to far back on the bolt body and needs to be relocated forward so the extraction cams can do there job, I have two builds in the shop now that have this issue and I will have to remove the handles and retime because extraction is extremely bad.

Most of the time in the smaller cartridges you never notice a problem, but get into the magnums and the high pressure rounds like the 6 Dasher or 6.5x47 Lapua and this is a problem.

You could have a chamber problem, but this would be glaringly obvious on your brass.

Unless Remington swaps your bolt with one with better extraction timing my guess is you could have the same problem when you get it back.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just noticed I never provided an update on this. So here's the rest of the story for those of you that have been on the edge of your seats for 2 years:

I sent it in to Remington and after a few weeks it came back and was fixed. I now have no extraction problems whatsoever.
They didn't say much about the fix other than something like "polished chamber, checked headspace".

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just noticed I never provided an update on this. So here's the rest of the story for those of you that have been on the edge of your seats for 2 years:

I sent it in to Remington and after a few weeks it came back and was fixed. I now have no extraction problems whatsoever.
They didn't say much about the fix other than something like "polished chamber, checked headspace".

This actually came up in conversation recently. No shit. Thanks for ending the suspense!

Huntin1

Established Member
Tried it and don't like it. I will maybe have to buy a front sight smoker.

They do have a strong action that is easy to work, and rifles like the Sendero have nice stock. If you can find an older rifle they had a great trigger.

PrairieGhost
I think I still have a sight smoker from my competition shooting days, I'll look for it if you want it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66