Xi5 Gateway to Lowrance HDS question

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I installed an xi5 this weekend. I have a Gen 2 Touch HDS 9 and a Gen 2 HDS 8 (non-touch) on the NMEA backbone with it.

The Autopilot menu shows up as expected on the Touch but not on the non-Touch HDS 8 Gen 2.

Should it? I know the non-Touch is communicating with the xi5 because I can see the heading data changing when I rotate the head (when I investigate the network devices - I see four xi5 data streams)

Maybe the non-Touch doesn't have the Autopilot menu? I see "Steering" pages and such but no Autopilot anywhere.

Can someone enlighten me on what's possible on the non-Touch? I am running ver 4.0 software (the latest)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could help you here. I would shoot message Huffranger's way. Mine isn't networked which should change but I like spending money on other stupid stuff.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could help you here. I would shoot message Huffranger's way. Mine isn't networked which should change but I like spending money on other stupid stuff.

ha ha h - yeah I paid $40 for a six foot extension cable - luckily that's all the high priced NMEA crap I had to buy besides the gateway link.

could have found it for $30 online but shipping and waiting?... who's got time for that when a guy gets down to the serious business of rigging?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been waiting for my onboard charger to show up before I start. Getting pretty pissed with westmarine and minnkota. Might just rig up a lightning rod. should only take one zap to juice em up.

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Xi5 with the gateway to my gen 2 touch and it is awesome. The autopilot will only work on your touch unit. The regular gen 2's are too old and will not support it.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
damn it! wonder if i can do an update and fix that problem? anyway, i think my 70 pound minnkota, elite 4 and hds 7 are going on the old boat and the "new" one is getting an xi5 and some updated electronics.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Xi5 with the gateway to my gen 2 touch and it is awesome. The autopilot will only work on your touch unit. The regular gen 2's are too old and will not support it.

guess that answers my question. and to think I just picked up an hds 10 and 8.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a variety of online materials suggest the HDS Gen 2 non-touch does support the Gateway to some degree

http://www.basspro.com/MotorGuide-Pinpoint-GPS-Gateway-Kit/product/1410231321/

The MotorGuide® Pinpoint® GPS Gateway Kit brings together your MotorGuide Xi5 trolling motor with Pinpoint GPS and Lowrance® fishfinder/chartplotter technologies for a whole new level of functionality and boat control. The Kit allows you to connect your Xi5 with a Lowrance HDS Gen2 or Gen2 Touch via the plug-and-play NMEA® 2000 network.
Seamlessly integrated, the package provides anglers new fishing strategies. All of the functions controlled by your Pinpoint GPS handheld remote can be operated from a compatible Lowrance display utilizing Lowrance SmartSteer™. These functions include Anchor, Heading Lock, Route Record/Playback, Cruise Control and more. In addition, an intuitive user interface makes it easy for anglers to create new fishing strategies while their electronics and trolling motor handle the rest. Use your fishfinder to determine optimum anchor and waypoint locations; set, recall, and navigate to positions right on the display. Use your chartplotter to plot a course or recall a route at the desired depth or structure. Create and vary bait presentations by customizing fishing patterns: U-turn, C-turn, Spiral turn, Zig-zag, Square, and Lazy S.

• Connects your Xi5 with your Lowrance HDS Gen2 and Gen2 Touch via the plug-and-play NMEA 2000 network
  • Set and follow custom routes
  • Navigate to select hot spots on the screen

http://www.motorguide.com/userfiles/file/lowrance-gateway-instruction-RA-digital (7) (1).pdf

page 2

I think it might be the case that non-Touch only has "navigate to waypoint" under Autosteer or some such? - no Autopilot page/pop-up menu like the Touches

Worth investigating IMO

- - - Updated - - -

From Cabela's ad for Gateway

motorguide.gif
[h=3]MotorGuide® PinPoint GPS Gateway Kit[/h]

• Use fishfinder to determine optimum anchor and waypoint locations
    • Set, recall and navigate to preferences right on the display
    • Use chartplotter to plot a course or recall a route
The MotorGuide PinPoint GPS Gateway Kit seamlessly connects your GPS-enabled Pinpoint Xi5 trolling motor and your Lowrance HDS Gen2, HDS Gen2 Touch, HDS Gen3 and Elite-7Ti electronics. This allows you to operate all Pinpoint functions from the Lowrance display via SmartSteer™.

NOTE: The connection of the Xi5 and the Lowrance HDS Gen2, HDS Gen2 Touch, HDS Gen3 or Elite-7Ti unit requires a NMEA 2000 network and the MotorGuide Gateway Kit . If a NMEA 2000 network has not been established, a starter kit, Lowrance® NEMA 2000® Networking System or MotorGuide® Pinpoint GPS NMEA2000 Starter Kit will be required to complete the setup.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the healthcare, auto, or airline industry were able to launch products with functionality proficiency levels similar to what IT is allowed to do, we'd all be dead or severely injured.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_3510.jpg

thanks for nothing you losers - figured it out myself :;:rockit

that's right - a non-touch running xi5

#oldguysarestubborn

pugman

22310193_126065294813006_1011960597905363055_n.jpg

thanks for nothing you losers - figured it out myself :;:rockit

that's right - a non-touch running xi5

#oldguysarestubborn

I know this is a very old post but I just hooked an xi5 to my Lowrance non touch gen2. I am having same issue. Do you mind letting me in on your secret, lol.
Thanks
Jeff

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Help!

i linked my Lowrance elite 9ti to my XI5. For some reason I can’t use the navigation function. What the heck is going on? Here is a pick of what it displays. “ Not Navigating”

in FM area. If there is someone versed in Lowrance/ XI5 intricacies id sure appreciate some help. Have beer will travel.

been reading some horror stories online. Hope this doesn’t turn into a wild goose chase. 8BD39722-C8B2-4214-B1A2-52BF8CDABB9B.jpg

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Help!

i linked my Lowrance elite 9ti to my XI5. For some reason I can’t use the navigation function. What the heck is going on? Here is a pick of what it displays. “ Not Navigating”

in FM area. If there is someone versed in Lowrance/ XI5 intricacies id sure appreciate some help. Have beer will travel.

been reading some horror stories online. Hope this doesn’t turn into a wild goose chase. 1674228678295.png

Search for the motorguide trolling motor users group on Facebook. Someone should be able to help you out there. Lots of reports with ongoing 2019 or newer XI5 gateway issues with little or no support from motorguide/mercury. A lot of very unhappy people.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Search for the motorguide trolling motor users group on Facebook. Someone should be able to help you out there. Lots of reports with ongoing 2019 or newer XI5 gateway issues with little or no support from motorguide/mercury. A lot of very unhappy people.

Thank you. I was unaware that group even existed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74