Archery Turkey Hunting

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here spend much time archery turkey hunting? I am giving it a go for the first time this year. Have a blind, decoys, call, etc. Have spring hunted once before but didn't spend a lot of time. I have a few friends who have hunted from a blind with a bow and they act as if the birds are oblivious to the blind, you can put it in the middle of an open field and the birds will walk within feet. Any truth to this? Just trying to figure out general setup with the blind. Any other tips? Only about three weeks to go!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it depends on the area. Ive shot turkey from my blind but the last few years ive noticed they are leary of it. Ive had better luck wearing full camo up against a tree. This is in a wooded area.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you are going to be using a bow sitting up against a tree wont work because they key in on any movement i've shot them from the blind before with the bow without an issue, and last spring i called in a turkey for a first time turkey hunter that took his with the bow and what i did was get in a shelter belt and put him between the bird and the decoy and i got on the far side of the decoy and called the bird past the hunter so he was able to draw his bow once the bird got past him and then when the bird started strutting his stuff for the decoy he was already at full draw, waited for his shot and BAM it was over, but on the 1 tom came, had it been a few birds that would have been much harder to pull off!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2297.jpg
This blind was put up that day in the middle of nowhere on an open hill. Put your blind where the turkeys go. They don't care. That's just the first pic I found on my Facebook. I've done it many times

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just have to limit movement, which a blind will do. I'd think if there was any sort of cover/brush or hay bales that would be more ideal to set up next to, however i've had them walking around the blind out in the open as well, didn't seem to bother them. Trying to draw while sitting on the ground over a decoy would be a challenge if you weren't behind cover. I've stuck a few from my treestand in the past if you have that option.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My oldest son and I were set up on the side of the Killdeer mountains and had about 40 turkeys come by. We were using one of those cheap pop up blinds that looks like it's breathing when a little wind is involved. That scared the turkeys out of range. I remembered Cabela's phone number and called from the blind and ordered the very new hub blind by Double Bull. The next year we had turkeys walking by at two yards and my son shot a very large gobbler. The shot was about three yards.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to it, goal is to get the wife a bird with her bow. Going to be fun!

NoMrcyND

I've never seen turkeys shy from a blind, no matter where it was placed. I have also never got drawn on them from a treestand! They ALWAYS see the movement from above. I keep movements to a minimum in the blind and wear black facemask, coat and gloves.

I have been very fortunate and took my 32nd turkey with a bow this year.

IMG_7944.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76