Fisher far from home.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seen my first Fisher this morning and I live about where Richland, Sargent, and Ransom county's intersect. Talked to the local warden and he said there have been reports of sightings in the grasslands north of my place and he has witnessed them himself. It was just weird that critter was this far south. Warden said they can be one mean SOB if they want to and after doing a little Google I believe him. Don't want the dogs tangling with him for sure.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know they have been around valley city for a couple years and there are some around fort ransom also.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Up in the upper wooded reaches of the Sheyenne River they are more common. You can trap one per year and my brother and his boys have done well. My brother did a full body mount on his. Don't plan on your cats lasting long with a fisher around. Up in the Pembina hills I don't think farmers can keep cats.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was just neat to see with out looking through zoo bars.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen my first Fisher this morning. Warden said they can be one mean SOB if they want to and after doing a little Google I believe him. Don't want the dogs tangling with him for sure.

If there were 100# weasels running about we'd never have to debate gun rights or the right to carry open, concealed, or any other damned way you please.

Doggie 1 and I bumped a Fisher off of a deer carcass while hunting ruffed grouse in late Dec one time. He was well within shotgun range but MN is mighty proud of their NR forbearers license and the only legal way to take Fisher's is via trap anyway so I watched him skitter away through the treetops.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spotted one in the Missouri River breaks SE of Bismarck last summer.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I honestly can't believe that stopped you? :D
If there were 100# weasels running about we'd never have to debate gun rights or the right to carry open, concealed, or any other damned way you please.

Doggie 1 and I bumped a Fisher off of a deer carcass while hunting ruffed grouse in late Dec one time. He was well within shotgun range but MN is mighty proud of their NR forbearers license and the only legal way to take Fisher's is via trap anyway so I watched him skitter away through the treetops.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And union leaders, just ask Jimmy if you can find him.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tangled with two of'em two years ago a couple weeks AFTER the season. One male and one female. Glad the shrite show of me and my snare partner wasn't taped. Take it from me, a snared male fisher is NOT, I repeat, NOT afraid of two grown men. Darn thing took after us when we finally got'em loose. Had a good mexican standoff when I got tired of runnin' and stood my ground with my tactical coyote noggin bonker at the ready. The female wasn't so bad as she was tangled in the willows and I made a clean getaway after cutting the snare. Beautiful creatures and I hope to get one for the wall one day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67