1000's Of Salmon To Be Released Into Sakakawea

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thousands Of Salmon Will Be Released Into Lake Sakakawea

By: Jim Olson

Over four-hundred thousand fish are swimming at the Garrison Dam National Fish Hatchery.

(LAUREN KALBERER/KX NEWS)

Those fish are chinook salmon and they are preparing to move into Lake Sakakawea.

Alexus Arthur is live in Minot to tell us more.

The salmon grow to four or five inches when they are ready to be released into the lake.

When they are released, they will spend the next couple of years traveling downstream on the Missouri River.

Once the salmon are ready to spawn they will travel upstream and return to Lake Sakakawea where they imprinted.

Typically, male return after a year and female come back after two or three years, but once they spawn they will pass away.

Then the cycle of life continues.

The hatchery will collect the eggs, create new salmon, and release them the next year.

"In this case, this year and actually the last couple of years, the chinook population in Sakakawea have been phenomenal and so we have a great population of bred stock there which means we have lots of eggs." said Rob Holm.

Chinook salmon enjoy the cold water and can stay comfortable to about 50 degrees.

The four hundred thousand salmon will be released this May into the Lake Sakakawea side

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool about the salmon, but yeah that explanation left me scratching my head...hmm

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if when they swim into the dam and up the hydros if they significantly reverse the generation of electricity?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gots soo many of these eggs yet won't stock the downstream anymore, seems straight up GNF foolish to me

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if when they swim into the dam and up the hydros if they significantly reverse the generation of electricity?

Silly Ahab! Theres a reason they call it alternating current.

- - - Updated - - -

Gots soo many of these eggs yet won't stock the downstream anymore, seems straight up GNF foolish to me

I do miss catching salmon in the tailrace but im pretty sure the success rates were piss poor.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They left out that this was a hybrid chinook salmon... salmon_run.jpg
Crossed with...
images.jpg;:;rofl

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do miss catching salmon in the tailrace but im pretty sure the success rates were piss poor.[/QUOTE]

Im sure they weren't great....but they're right there!! Hang a left dammit, state record made it there, great place for anyone that can cast a rod from shore to access, hell even doubles the fishable shore available to fishermen come fall

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish they would sterilize and tag a hundred and throw em in Devils lake. I think they would grow like crazy in that water.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I've contributed enough to the state and G&F that there should be at least 17 stocked in the Casselton Res. Just sayin'....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats the point in sterilizing?

It's the only way they would ever stock them so I threw it in there, Never raised Salmon but trout and they thrived and grew faster than ever in warm water, Our mid afternoon water temps were right at the threshold point where they were supposed to quit growing but they didn't, They grew faster. The key was that they cooled way down at night and gradually warmed up by late afternoon. I'm thinking temps at 50' in Devils lake isn't too far off from the water temps at Sakakawea . I could be wrong but I just have a gut feeling Salmon would thrive in DL.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76