Spinners

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
By boat lists to one side with the weight of BB and my spinner tackle box is the size of a old military ruck sack. My crank baits rarely see wet and my jigs still have all their paint on them. Guess I don't know how to fish.

weedy1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the April 1st renewal date has more to do with history than anything else. North Dakota used to have a closed season in the Spring so it was kind of a natural breakoff point between fishing seasons. I never had a large enough gap in fishing activities to need a new license just to ice fish in the Spring.

You do pay for partial year licenses when you purchase a vehicle, but the cost involved is much more substantial than a fishing license.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the April 1st renewal date has more to do with history than anything else. North Dakota used to have a closed season in the Spring so it was kind of a natural breakoff point between fishing seasons. I never had a large enough gap in fishing activities to need a new license just to ice fish in the Spring.

You do pay for partial year licenses when you purchase a vehicle, but the cost involved is much more substantial than a fishing license.
Who needs a license for pulling spinners? Kidding. Wrong thread. For the very very very limited amount of time I subject myself to the nightmare of dragging spinners, I'm in the Northland Baitfish Image camp on sunny days, black with some bright accent on cloudy days, and a healthy supply of beer to keep me entertained. Nothing worse than when the fish are biting spinners

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing really does have something for everybody. It's funny how some of the guys who hate bottom bouncers the most have no problem dragging a piece of wood around until a fish dumb enough grabs it, fights for three cranks and then rushes to the top of the water where it then lays with its mouth open until you drown it and reel it in.....grin:;:duel

That being said I will pretty much go with what's working whether that be jigs, cranks or gasp bb and spinners or lindys, and if none of that works then it's time for :;:cheers

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing really does have something for everybody. It's funny how some of the guys who hate bottom bouncers the most have no problem dragging a piece of wood around until a fish dumb enough grabs it, fights for three cranks and then rushes to the top of the water where it then lays with its mouth open until you drown it and reel it in.....grin:;:duel

That being said I will pretty much go with what's working whether that be jigs, cranks or gasp bb and spinners or lindys, and if none of that works then it's time for :;:cheers

ha the only thing worse than drowning worms on a bb is pulling plugs. I don't discriminate. I am also not too proud to do either if it comes to it though.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
bb or cranks that is all i bother with as i want numbers and eating fresh fish every time i fish is the goal

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i cut my teeth on spinners up on lake of the woods, started as a young kid making my own with the help of the ole man and still do quite a bit of spinner fishing, i would rather catchin them on a jig more so than anything else but if the fish want a chomp down on a spinner im certainly not to proud to allow that!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
silver,brass, black, white, pink, red all good colors depends on the fish. back in late 70s did this with uncle on Sak. lots of memorys. It seems to me on sak. north dakota started the bb trend.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spent one of my best days fishing on Alkaline lake, light drizzle with almost no wind. BB and spinners were a bust. Started throwing every thing at them I could think of. Ended up using Wabble Jijs tiped with a leech into holes in the weeds in about 5' water. Laughed and giggled like a little girl all afternoon throwing 20" walleys back. Different dogs will hunt if given a chance.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought bob propst sr was like one of the OG of bb and such for walleye

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Color is only a slight variable with spinners the real key is the movement and vibration … followed by speed and leader length for correct movement and vibration…I have found most hammered blades and/or hatchet blades with silver, gold or copper…a hammer silver hatch blade is tough to beat…there is truth to the dark days dark blades theory and a double hook harness with a leech is extremely enticing…

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tie my own. Always use the quick change clevis. I actually pull spinners a lot during late summer. I have lots of different sized blades, but hammered bronze and something with pink are my go to colors. I probably have more color and size options than most. Usually use a 15lb flouro leader 4-6' long.

To the person who asked if anyone uses a treble. I do, but only when I'm trolling for suspended fish off the bottom. I hate snags!!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make my own rigs. Buy the blades off ebay for cheap as hell. Usually silver hammered ones are the ones with the best price. I built a powder paint setup and paint my own. I'm going to buy an airbrush also so that I can paint the outside and leave the underside silver. Or vice versa. I use quick change clevis's and swap blades a bunch.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
bb bashing --- i started out as a kid - fishing texas rigged you had have every version of purple or you were not in, salt impregnated, uncle buck -- favorite top water and it would always suck in weeds and wouldnt spin, jimmy houstons little jig with the spinners (roadrunner), johnsons beetle spin and varations of, 100 spinnerbaits vareiation with a pig, jigs in every dark color, rattle traps - i still have one that is so scarred up and and i dont know how they do that without teeth, carolinas in the august were a must, little ns, -1s were the ticket in the spring. I never even heard of bottom bouncer/spinner or walleye jig ugh - that was a sunfish bait. I look back and woundnt trade it for anything -- youth. Now that stuff just stays in the cupboards and ---i just do bonehead fishing like pulling spinners and bottom bouncers and once and while drag a jig or crank. My butt sits on a seat and a cold beer stays in my hand. i guess thats life as we know it. #$%^&>

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually pull BB and spinners until I find a pod of active fish and then I sit and jig them until it peters out. They can be mighty effective on the dog days of summer with a juicy crawler.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Color definitely matters when pulling spinners. We pull spinners almost exclusively during mid-late summer on Sak. We usually start out the day with about 3 completely different colors and almost always one person will catch about 3-4 fish to everybody else's 1, so we all end up switching to that color. Ive seen extremely subtle color differences make a huge difference in catch ratios.

On Sak, shiny tends to just mean Skip jacks so we generally stick to painted colors. Colorado blades if drifting or moving slower, Indiana if cruising on a calm day.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I make my own rigs. Buy the blades off ebay for cheap as hell. Usually silver hammered ones are the ones with the best price. I built a powder paint setup and paint my own. I'm going to buy an airbrush also so that I can paint the outside and leave the underside silver. Or vice versa. I use quick change clevis's and swap blades a bunch.

I'd like to do this as well. I just ordered a couple hundred hammered silver colorado's. What did it cost yu to get setup for powder coating?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67