Targeting Drum...any tips?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go down to Mina lake in SD. Its just a few miles west of Aberdeen. They have had "drum" tournaments there. An acquaintance of mine won it one year with 67 drum in something like 4 hours of fishing. That should set your heart a fluttler. Spinner and a crawler.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tip # 1 Stop targeting Drum Tip #2 If you feel you must still target Drum See Tip # 1

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go down to Mina lake in SD. Its just a few miles west of Aberdeen. They have had "drum" tournaments there. An acquaintance of mine won it one year with 67 drum in something like 4 hours of fishing. That should set your heart a fluttler. Spinner and a crawler.

Those carp tournaments in SD are the real deal.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you plan on eating them make sure all the dark outer meat is off them, Also do not fry them unless they are real small the smell is awful. Have heard of guys on Lake Erie that boil them with crab or shrimp boil seasoning.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been eating them for years, taste as good as pike or walleye as long as that red meat is cut off.

You guys get em higher up off bottom huh? Definetely gonna try crawfish for bait.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been eating them for years, taste as good as pike or walleye as long as that red meat is cut off.

You guys get em higher up off bottom huh? Definetely gonna try crawfish for bait.

They love craws. I know an old river rat that tried that as well. Small crawdads=big drum.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Ive been eating them for years, taste as good as pike or walleye

Cooking Instructions:

Lay fillet on shingle
1 tbsp butter in center of fillet
pinch of salt
squeeze of lemon
Cook on grill at 250 for 25 minutes
Turn grill off and wait 5 minutes
Throw fillet away
Eat shingle

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't say they taste bad, but now I typically just toss em back. Give me pike over them any day.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

I got curious last summer and cleaned one. I figure lake Oahe has such good clean water they might taste ok. I was almost right, they were a little less than ok. But I will bet $1000 that I can taste fresh walleye over fresh drum 10 out of 10 times.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say we were 3ft off the bottom that day we were using the slip bobbers, fishing in 10 or 12 feet. Of course around the intake that is all chunk boulders and clear water for them to see it struggling a ways off

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Daaang, check out these tanks!
marshsheep1.jpg

DRUM BLACK (Pogonias cromis) caught in Texas florida louisiana mexico world record biggest fish .jpg

th (2).jpg

Picture_655.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Holy schneikes! The world record is 54lbs 8oz. I also read this online, not sure how reliable it is, or if it was a similar specie thats now extinct.

"Huge otoliths, “ear bones”, excavated from Indian village sites indicate that at one time they have grown as large as 200 lb (90 kg).

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to beat crawdads. They love small mussels too. Some real brutes in Erie, fun trying to bring a 15 to 20lbr in on a medium light rod. Try a 4-5' leader barrel swivel and a slip sinker above that. Spinners and crawlers like others have said.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
These guys are crushing em on artificials.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77