New Tactic for Turkey

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy of mine used a handgun with decoys last year and had a blast. I'm going with a crossbow this year.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The regs state a pistol of .35 cal or larger with a barrel length of at least 4" are legal, and a shotgun needs a minimum barrel length of 18", can you shoot a .410 out of the Judge for turkeys?

Either way I laughed my ass off when that gobbler came screaming in on him and he gave it the business

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
it works like a charm. I've done it multiple times.

I wish I could load my video from last year. I had a group of 4 toms come and attack me and I unloaded my single shot .357 at the one and never hit him.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be fun but I hunt to close to Fargo and on public land. I don't feel like getting shot.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I have always thought too, however after hunting them the past couple years with calls and decoys, I've learned a few things. They are just as stupid as a big old horny buck on a hot doe at times, but they are just as clever as that same big old buck the other 345 days of the year. I am speaking strictly from decoying/calling perspective. Its like those bastards know when you are hunting them and when you pose no threat.

Turkeys are so stupid! I don't know how many times I was parked deer hunting they would just walk up to the pickup.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
That's what I have always thought too, however after hunting them the past couple years with calls and decoys, I've learned a few things. They are just as stupid as a big old horny buck on a hot doe at times, but they are just as clever as that same big old buck the other 345 days of the year. I am speaking strictly from decoying/calling perspective. Its like those bastards know when you are hunting them and when you pose no threat.

Your doing it wrong then!, Just park you truck out in the field or near a wooded area and let them walk right to you.:;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75