lazyMlazyK - 2017 Trapping

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the itch and had to set a few traps in an effort to get a little into water trapping this year. Wife and I had a good time trapping 'rats in huts back in college, so I figured I'd give it a got in open water. I've only got 7 traps out, and two of them are on a float. Have read on tman about floats not working for everyone, and it seems most people don't have much luck with them. Seems to me like the float is the way to go, it's been my best producing set. Have picked up 11 'rats since Sunday, one check per day.
FullSizeR.jpg
Has anyone else been noticing a lot of bite marks on your 'rats? Wondering if I need to sew them up or just put them up as-is?

Attachments

FullSize.jpg

Dubbs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those bite marks are caused by the mating season being in full force, usually when I encounter that I quit because the price drops on your furs. If you planned on trapping them next winter I would freeze those and group them, get better money that way. During one of the last flood years (6-7 years ago) and the peak of the muskrat population boom, a couple buddies and I would drive around shooting rats and waded through the muck to retrieve them. Eventually we got smart and sent the dogs after anything that was confirmed dead, saved us some work. We made enough money off them that spring to buy a nice waterfowl spread.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76