Caught my first fish using a baitcaster

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
4th, wear ear protection, body armor, helmet, and face shield upon reentry into the vehicle.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First baitcaster? Aren't you a sponsored pro?

Technically yes, I just recently got on with McCain fishing and since 80% of there rods are casting rods I figured I better start breaking out of my comfort zone and start learning different teniques.

- - - Updated - - -

1st, arm the child safety locks. 2nd, take the keys when you get out of the car, 3rd, quickly hit the "lock" button on the keyless entry fob.

Haha! Bingo

- - - Updated - - -

4th, wear ear protection, body armor, helmet, and face shield upon reentry into the vehicle.

Still wouldn't save you...

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good video. Looked like you had mono on the reel. I have found pp to be way easier to cast

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's what I keep hearing as well might be switching if it gives me any more grief

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some heavy power pro that I have used for 5 years on my bait casters. The stuff holds up well.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suffix 832 ive found to be similar to power pro, but much smoother, so you get less friction on the guides and more distance on your casts.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a question for those out there that use baitcasters. I have a baitcast reel that I would like to rig up for some type of walleye fishing. I need to chose from these three types of line that I have on hand; 30lb Power Pro, 30lb Suffix 832, or 20lb Berkeley fluorocarbon. I currently have zero rods with mono or flouro rigged up so this may be the opportunity for a first one but I don't like the increased drag with the flouro diameter.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
35970825_10216089411804141_3861122689401880576_n.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a nice baitcaster reel on a better-than-decent rod, and I can only use it while trolling, or slip-bobbering.

I could pretty easily be talked into trying fly-fishing however.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for those out there that use baitcasters. I have a baitcast reel that I would like to rig up for some type of walleye fishing. I need to chose from these three types of line that I have on hand; 30lb Power Pro, 30lb Suffix 832, or 20lb Berkeley fluorocarbon. I currently have zero rods with mono or flouro rigged up so this may be the opportunity for a first one but I don't like the increased drag with the flouro diameter.

None of the above. I would go with 10# max. Power Pro, Suffix 832, or any kind of round braid will have good feel and cast a mile.
I actually use 10# Fireline on most of mine. Since it's flat, there can be some "dig-in" issues when I set the hook like a beast, but that only makes the very next cast problematic. It otherwise casts very well and is stronger than anything in that weight class.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah - I still prefer mono for baitcasting - it doesn't dig in upon hookset like the braids/superlines.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mono = "fucking a wet sock".
-- My brothers quote, but I find it fairly apt.

Sorry Guy, you tend to speak gospel, but I must disagree here. Mono sucks on every reel.

ha ha - whatever - it's not like I'm singing its praises or saying it's better - I'm saying it works for me for simple bassing and I grew up with it

kinda like shooting a recurve or some such - super inferior technically speaking but works and has a certain vibe/feel that I appreciate

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got to agree with Guy on this one. Only time I use mono is with a few select bait casting reels

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

next thing you’ll be telling me is that my white New Balance aren’t hip/happening

480FE04A-50BC-4128-8E31-33E8D5096D38.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can tell who is a youngin --- power pro didnt exist when i had my first baitcaster ---- daiwa millioniare, bantum shimmy -- dacron on that big million, mono on the rest. Green white dacron. Mono casted 100x further. Actually mono is better at getting out birds nest then ppro. But we fish lakes that have trees and rocks so we need the big stuff. I still will take a baitcaster over a spinnning reel any day -- but for the lightweight stuff i have to use a spinning reel - ick.

- - - Updated - - -

None of the above. I would go with 10# max. Power Pro, Suffix 832, or any kind of round braid will have good feel and cast a mile.
I actually use 10# Fireline on most of mine. Since it's flat, there can be some "dig-in" issues when I set the hook like a beast, but that only makes the very next cast problematic. It otherwise casts very well and is stronger than anything in that weight class.

Fireline -- unless if they have changed it -- you p tie that to a spinnerbait and cast it in the pencil reeds a few times and snap breaks at the knot as it frays easy. That stuff sucks IMO "IMO". Its good for trolling cranks and tying often thats it. As far as digging in -- i suppose your correct as it breaks before it digs in to much

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I use 15lb Power Pro for my "lighter duty" baitcaster like heavy jigs and lighter BB work. The others have 30# for heavy bouncing and Red River lindy work(dealing with snags).

Mono has it's place where you want invisibility and some stretch. I actually didn't like braid for jigging for quite a while because I was so used to the "feel" of mono. I've always like braid for trolling.

I tried mono on one of my spinning rigs again last season and just couldn't stomach it. I have adjusted all my "feel" habits to no stretch for long enough now that muscle memory has been formed away from mono.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
All mine have PP or Spiderwire Stealth. Abu 6100 Record, older Abu 5500, older Quantum Accurist PT and a Lews Tournament Pro. I love my Lews for tuning and control and was thinking about adding another till I looked at the new Abu Revo SX (24# of drag and heavier internals supposedly and am thinking I must have one, would like to hear any reviews.
As far as learning casting I still swear by my tape trick I use. Run out 100-160ft of line and put a piece of tape on the spool then reel up. If you birds nest the tape stops it and is easier to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Quantum hot sauce oil and grease is awesome

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe It is all in my head but a couple reasons for mono that fit for me. Thick mono raises the lure when using Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits along with baits like rattle traps, riding them high above emergent weeds. Like most, have completely ditched mono on trolling rods. Getting in weeds with mono sucks.. rip a weeded crank on fireline and most times clear the lure.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 65