Caught my first fish using a baitcaster

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Took a trip to Nelson Lake this weekend, my wife and I had stuff to do in Bismarck. We stopped at Nelson Lake for a little bit and it was too windy for my wife and son to go outside so they sat in the car and watched. Only fish for about an hour but I still able to catch to fish using my new baitcaster rod from McCain fishing!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you!! However, I now see a plethora of "Rats Nests" in your future!! Especially when you try using 3/8 oz baits or lighter. Have fun!!!

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yea Im still learning... The main reason why it looks so bad is like the second cast in that day it got rat nested pretty bad underneath the spool and I just didn't have time to pick it all out so I actually just reeled it in over top of itself and just kept fishing for the day. I came home and ended up picking a lot of it out and I probably dwindled down a good 50 yards of fishing line out of the spool and now it seems the cast way better I wonder if I didn't have too much fishing line in the spool cuz practicing in the backyard I had a good 50 to 75 cast with absolutely no backlash using a half ounce jig... Also I put a couple drops of Gun oil in the spool bearings and that seemed to make a world of difference!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good on ya for stepping up to what I call a "big boy" reel. You'll want to punch it in the face at first but soon you won't want to bass fish with anything else. You'll be dropping rigs into tiny openings in structure like a fricken Jedi.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice video. I have one bait caster that I use for casting larger baits. My biggest hang up with bait casters is that I don't feel like I have the same level of feel that I have with a spinning reel setup. I think it is because with a bait caster I am holding the reel in my hand whereas with a spinning, I am holding the rod. So I can feel the bait working and fish biting so much better with the spinning. Not sure if I am doing something wrong but this is the main reason I have limited my bait casting use. I can cast them just fine; that is simply a matter of having a good quality reel and practicing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting factoid: SDMF can hurl a crankbait from Devils Lake into Canada with a baitcaster.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice video. I have one bait caster that I use for casting larger baits. My biggest hang up with bait casters is that I don't feel like I have the same level of feel that I have with a spinning reel setup. I think it is because with a bait caster I am holding the reel in my hand whereas with a spinning, I am holding the rod. So I can feel the bait working and fish biting so much better with the spinning. Not sure if I am doing something wrong but this is the main reason I have limited my bait casting use. I can cast them just fine; that is simply a matter of having a good quality reel and practicing.

Well, it should help that on most baitcasters, at least the handle is on the correct side.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
at least the handle is on the correct side.

I'm not sure that it is, unless he casts left-handed.
I've never understood why you'd want to cast with your right hand and then switch hands every time to also reel with your right hand.
Not to mention you then have to set the hook primarily with your left hand.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting factoid: SDMF can hurl a crankbait from Devils Lake into Canada with a baitcaster.

Only if I have a tailwind and get to throw with the current.

Plus, I can throw a football over them mountains.

Last edited:

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not sure that it is, unless he casts left-handed.
I've never understood why you'd want to cast with your right hand and then switch hands every time to also reel with your right hand.
Not to mention you then have to set the hook primarily with your left hand.

I grew up with spinning rods and reels with my right hand... So when I bought a baitcaster I had to get one with the reel on the right... It is harder trying to learn to cast with my left arm when spinning I primarily use my right ... I tried using my left arm but it's a pain as you say to have to switch hands every cast

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
baitcaster-backlash-fishing-meme.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can only use baitcasters with heavier lures. Light jigs and smallish cranks still get the old spinning treatment.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using a bait caster will open up alot more fishing opportunities for you, and so would a fly rod.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new baitcast are nice. I grew up with a steel rod and an old baitcast with no settings at all. You had to use your thumb for control to keep from a big ball backlash. Of course there was no such thing as monofilament either. I had 40lb nylon on that old rig. Caught many a pike off the bridge next to our pasture. We had about mile of Sheyenne river on our farm.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm more interested in what technique you used to have your wife and kid sit in the car for an hour while you fished.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm more interested in what technique you used to have your wife and kid sit in the car for an hour while you fished.

1st, arm the child safety locks. 2nd, take the keys when you get out of the car, 3rd, quickly hit the "lock" button on the keyless entry fob.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74