Caught my first fish using a baitcaster

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Indeed,takes a little bit to get use to a bait caster as far as adjusting for different weight lures for casting which you may or may not know,most bait casters have a dial adjustment/magnets next to the star drag which allows you to adjust for casting different weight lures,casting into the wind etc.Once you get the feel for it your golden,even with the proper adjustment one will always use the thumb for back up to help eliminate the rats nest.This is a doozie~

bad day of fishing.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mono digging in to the spool? I know few folks that cast mono on a bait caster,mono to crank trolling is different.

With all the new super lines out there "what to choose?"

unlike some super braids with zero stretch we found that braids with 2% to 5% stretch makes for better hooksets w/o the fish feeling any resistance compared to lets say spider wire with zero stretch sure you can feel every rock or stump your rig goes over and so can the fish when they pick your bait up,not good for finicky walleyes.

Also spooling a braid one needs to spool up about 50yds of mono to eliminate line digging in to the spool.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I take it no one uses flouro on their baitcasters?

I got 5 casts on my quantum when I got it, first low pro caster, and nested up about 50yds of Triline 100% and had to cut it all out. Switched to braid then learned the tape trick. One of my reels will probably be going mono in the next year or two

- - - Updated - - -

I tape all my braid straight to the spool and wind it up. I have never had a problem with dig in or slipping on and casters or spinning

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got 5 casts on my quantum when I got it, first low pro caster, and nested up about 50yds of Triline 100% and had to cut it all out. Switched to braid then learned the tape trick. One of my reels will probably be going mono in the next year or two

- - - Updated - - -

On the spool: Tape, dbl wrap, cinch, superglue, tape again. Wind on the reel through a tightly held paper towel with a hot and horny assistant providing the proper tension on the pencil while maintaining adequate friction. The line should come off the top.

Actually: In my many years using braid in all it's developments and evolution; I've found line twist doesn't make a difference. I have never tried filling a BC from a spool on the floor and can't fathom a reason except for the group of women fighting to hold the pencil: Winding on a reel though a tight medium although essential allows for easy over-fill; especially on a spinning reel; be careful.

This stuff used to be very problematic on spinning gear: Now, it's ALL round and casts like a bullet. I try to preserve my spools like fly line.

Never knew of the mid-spool tape trick. Will be employing this technique.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all I'll ever use trolling BB and spinners.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know I didn't pay enough attention to the subject and I first talked about my first (dads) real fishing rig. I can't remember what I caught my first fish with which I would guess was a bullhead. I do remember what I caught my first pike with. It was with an old cane pole, a few feet of binder twine, a daredevil, and I walked back and fourth along the side of the bridge so the daredevil would swim. With that big heavy visible line I still caught a lot of pike.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
cane pole, mason line with a leader, a coupla earth worms on a long shank hook and maybe a bobber. Fish was a bullhead or perch and we eated them.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m pretty sure my first fish was a northern through the ice with chalk line and a smelt. 808 zebco in the summer with a daredevil. High tech stuff back in the day.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah - I still prefer mono for baitcasting - it doesn't dig in upon hookset like the braids/superlines.

Don’t set the hook on a snag helps.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d buy a baitcaster if I was a bass fisherman, but I’m not gay, so I guess I won’t buy one.

You spent your bait caster allowance on a vintage .270 win dintchya.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t set the hook on a snag helps.

- - - Updated - - -

You spent your bait caster allowance on a vintage .270 win dintchya.

Can’t say no to an unfired classic, even if it’s in an embarrassing caliber!

- - - Updated - - -

I like bait-casters so much I ice fish with them too. #BabyCalcutta50/51.

do they still work with all the dust on them?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74