Replacement Boat Windshield Glass???

defiant1

Honored Member
Okay, unfortunately the center window panel of my walk-thru windshield shattered. :mad: So, I need a replacement. The Taylor Made windshield is from an 1999 boat. The windshield frame seems to have a very slight curve at the bottom but I am not sure if that is from the frame not being tight and sagging over the years. And I am not sure if a straight, squared cut panel of glass would work or not.

Can an automotive glass vendor install a replacement piece or is this something strictly special order?

Any advice would be appreciated.

d1

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be prepared for some serious sticker shock. Those things are not cheap.

★ Legendary Member
i hear Vallely-Marine has a great service department although it depends who you ask on here;:;popcorn

defiant1

Honored Member
yes auto glass place should be able to repair

Well, struck out at 3 local auto glass vendors. They say it is too curved for them to order a piece of tempered glass to fit. Possible lead with another outfit, but they said they would have to do some research first. This is turning into a headache in a hurry...

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, struck out at 3 local auto glass vendors. They say it is too curved for them to order a piece of tempered glass to fit. Possible lead with another outfit, but they said they would have to do some research first. This is turning into a headache in a hurry...

Your center piece on your walk-thru is curved? .. is it possible to order the replacement part online? then have the auto place install?

defiant1

Honored Member
Your center piece on your walk-thru is curved? .. is it possible to order the replacement part online? then have the auto place install?

It is very slightly curved. And the longer the frame sits without glass in it, the more curved it gets. Which, freaks out the glass installers... I have not found a vendor that sells the glass, I keep getting told that a custom piece will have to be made or a whole new 5 piece windshield will have to be ordered.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is very slightly curved. And the longer the frame sits without glass in it, the more curved it gets. Which, freaks out the glass installers... I have not found a vendor that sells the glass, I keep getting told that a custom piece will have to be made or a whole new 5 piece windshield will have to be ordered.

Yuck…I guess if it were me I’d take that center piece off for now…scour the internet for a used piece or salvage yards…maybe check MN lakes country … or have custom glass made by taking frame in … I know in Fargo , FARGO PAINT &GLASS would do it … not sure about where you’re from

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I was literally just about to start a thread for the same thing, so I'll partially hijack yours! :;:duel

So, on my last trip up to Rainy River, something went through the center section of my windshield and shattered it. Looking at my options for repair, seems like I can go two routes, just looking for some input on which is the better way to go and if any of you have any experience with it.

Option 1: Have a local glass place put a new piece of laminated glass in. Will cost right around $100, and can get it done locally. Downsides with laminated glass is its not as strong as the tempered that was in there, and its not as flexible, so possibility of cracking as the boat is hammering through some rollers on devils lake maybe? Not sure how much that stuff flexes during use.

Option 2: Send the frame back to TaylorMade to get a new OEM piece of tempered glass put in there. Will be back just like stock, and will cost a little over $300 plus a 10-15 day turnaround time.

What do you think the better route would be? Worth 3x the money to have TaylorMade do it?

defiant1

Honored Member
Yuck…I guess if it were me I’d take that center piece off for now…scour the internet for a used piece or salvage yards…maybe check MN lakes country … or have custom glass made by taking frame in … I know in Fargo , FARGO PAINT &GLASS would do it … not sure about where you’re from

I live north of Minot, but I happen to be going to Fargo next weekend, so I will take the frame to the Fargo Paint & Glass and see what they say. Thanks for the recommendation.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I live north of Minot, but I happen to be going to Fargo next weekend, so I will take the frame to the Fargo Paint & Glass and see what they say. Thanks for the recommendation.

Express autoglass in Grand Forks said they'd do mine, but they wanted the whole boat there because they said they needed to cut the glass exactly so it's not getting pulled too much in any direction and putting stress on the pane of glass.

defiant1

Honored Member
I was literally just about to start a thread for the same thing, so I'll partially hijack yours! :;:duel

So, on my last trip up to Rainy River, something went through the center section of my windshield and shattered it. Looking at my options for repair, seems like I can go two routes, just looking for some input on which is the better way to go and if any of you have any experience with it.

Option 1: Have a local glass place put a new piece of laminated glass in. Will cost right around $100, and can get it done locally. Downsides with laminated glass is its not as strong as the tempered that was in there, and its not as flexible, so possibility of cracking as the boat is hammering through some rollers on devils lake maybe? Not sure how much that stuff flexes during use.

Option 2: Send the frame back to TaylorMade to get a new OEM piece of tempered glass put in there. Will be back just like stock, and will cost a little over $300 plus a 10-15 day turnaround time.

What do you think the better route would be? Worth 3x the money to have TaylorMade do it?

Interesting. My talks with TaylorMade indicated they would sell me a complete windshield instead of making a custom piece. They told me to contact Ocean Dynamics (out of Florida) to have custom glass cut for my center panel. I suppose due to the age of my boat, maybe TaylorMade does not have the molds anymore???

d1

- - - Updated - - -

Express autoglass in Grand Forks said they'd do mine, but they wanted the whole boat there because they said they needed to cut the glass exactly so it's not getting pulled too much in any direction and putting stress on the pane of glass.

The whole boat for the to replace the center section??? Seems like overkill. I only had to remove the hinge pin and it came right out.

- - - Updated - - -

I know in Fargo , FARGO PAINT &GLASS would do it … not sure about where you’re from
It turns out there is a Fargo Paint and Glass in Minot. Who knew... So, I will bring them the frame on Monday and see what they say.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Okay, unfortunately the center window panel of my walk-thru windshield shattered. :mad: So, I need a replacement. The Taylor Made windshield is from an 1999 boat. The windshield frame seems to have a very slight curve at the bottom but I am not sure if that is from the frame not being tight and sagging over the years. And I am not sure if a straight, squared cut panel of glass would work or not.

Can an automotive glass vendor install a replacement piece or is this something strictly special order?

Any advice would be appreciated.

d1

I dobt know if this would fit?

FB_IMG_1492806735922.jpg
FB_IMG_1492806742977.jpg

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting. My talks with TaylorMade indicated they would sell me a complete windshield instead of making a custom piece. They told me to contact Ocean Dynamics (out of Florida) to have custom glass cut for my center panel. I suppose due to the age of my boat, maybe TaylorMade does not have the molds anymore???

d1

- - - Updated - - -

The whole boat for the to replace the center section??? Seems like overkill. I only had to remove the hinge pin and it came right out.

- - - Updated - - -

It turns out there is a Fargo Paint and Glass in Minot. Who knew... So, I will bring them the frame on Monday and see what they say.

Yeah, might have to do with the age, my Alumacraft is a 2013, so a bit more recent.

They wanted the whole boat so they could fit the frame back in the windshield and make sure they got the new piece cut right so it doesn't twist/warp anything and cause binding opening/closing the walk-thru...said they've had that happen before, so just something to think about when bringing the frame in I guess?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
broke both the walk thru and the right curved glass on my 2000' pro-v. bought plexiglass larger than the opening from Menards. Clamped it the the straight portion of the curved frame. And took heat gun after it on both sides while we bent it around the frame. Bent like a champ. Then took a marker and traced the opening. Then cut it as much larger as the old window was and installed. Looks like it was factory done. Going to install the plexi glass on the walk thru now. Damned if I was going to pay taylormade $2500 for a complete new windshield. And that's the only way they do it. Whole new one.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy who just sent his frame into Taylor made to get new glass installed and I heard it was several thousand cheaper than vallelys

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
broke both the walk thru and the right curved glass on my 2000' pro-v. bought plexiglass larger than the opening from Menards. Clamped it the the straight portion of the curved frame. And took heat gun after it on both sides while we bent it around the frame. Bent like a champ. Then took a marker and traced the opening. Then cut it as much larger as the old window was and installed. Looks like it was factory done. Going to install the plexi glass on the walk thru now. Damned if I was going to pay taylormade $2500 for a complete new windshield. And that's the only way they do it. Whole new one.

My center glass busted out a couple years ago. Did same as eyexer. Plexiglass. Worked great.

defiant1

Honored Member

My center glass busted out a couple years ago. Did same as eyexer. Plexiglass. Worked great.

Is there a certain type, brand of plexiglass you guys used? How thick of plexiglass did you use?
Thank you.
d1

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84