Need help with catching walleye.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you on someone's else boat and they are boat operator, with graphics in their face..you SOL.....they have the advantage to see the fish before you do....However, if you got a great friend that take you fishing and he rather see you catch all the fish them him, thats even better.....yup...raider one hell of a guy.....:D

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll see what happens tonight. Going fishing with him except I'm going to sit downstream to get to the fish first. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good line will make the most difference as stated. Nano, fireline,powerepro.
Make sure you have a jig that you can feel good if not go up in weight a little.
Scheels walleye and guide series are good rods for the money as is the president reel.
Try your best to keep the slack out of your line as well, sounds easy but its kind of an art.
Good luck.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the first time I've heard of the guy in the front saying that the other guy's catching more fish. I agree with the "first lure in front of the fish, often gets hit more". Usually the guy in the front has first dibs.

Anyhow, one other thing to consider, when the other guy in the boat is kicking your butt, is to just whack him over the head with a club.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
I could be f...king you but i'm not!!!!! i'm a nice guy!!!! and took a buddy that doesn't fish much and he got cocky and said i'm smoking you 2 fish to 1 whats wrong with you?? I said you are done. the next half hour he was my net man!!! always be heavier than the boat driver!! in wind try throwing a crankbait.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of good solutions posted already, i'd kick him in the ass as he's bent over the side of the boat grabbing his first fish

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've found that when I'm not catching fish a slight increase in my alcohol consumption usually helps with the fish catching. It probably just gives me a little more patience. Worrying about someone catching more fish is probably going to cause you to catch less fish.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Fly2cast in my option your bro is setting you up, he is the captain of the boat , he can put himself in target areas and leave you hanging jigging in in depth only a 3/8 jig would be suited for. Here would be one option,get one medium fast action 50 buck rod for a dead stick for heavey jigs and one medium light, fast action rod for pitching jigs then pitch your jig to were you have the first pass over the walleyes. This happens more frequent than you think it happened to me friday and every time we end up jigging, my friend was the captain he was in 9ft jigging working a shelf i was in 21 ft and to make thing worse i was in the current had to go to a 3/8 jig on dead stick and on my other rod a 100 buck StCrioux started pitch in front down current in shallower water. The captain caught more of the fish that day but not always got his ways down. Good luck, read up on jigging techniques alot of good information anglers have out there,get the edge,keep them sharp.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I went out with my brother on Friday evening south of Fox Island. I sat in the back, rather than the front where I normally am so that I could drift over the fish first. The verdict: it may have helped. We each caught one but I did have a couple that got off near the boat and he didn't. So I would say that drifting over the fish first may have helped me catch more fish but it's hard to say because the fish really weren't biting.

As a side note, the temp of the river dropped by about 3 degrees since last week and I think that turned off the fishing. Saw a lot of boats but didn't see any get caught...except for one boat. They looked like they caught a lot by throwing the jigs.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an update to my fishing situation:

So I've been out a number of times on the Missouri River with my brother since my last post and made sure I sat downstream of him when we are drifting so that I come upon the fish first. I believe this has made a big difference. I have outfished or gotten the same number of fish as he has since I have been doing this. Just yesterday we went out on the river near Bismarck. I caught 6 walleye and 1 nice pike (and missed a number of bites). He caught 2. His confidence is getting crushed and I think he is starting to believe that being first on the fish makes a difference.

Last edited:

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I catch fish all summer on spinners and slow death rigs and I always fish with 2 poles 1 by me at drivers seat and one in a holder at back of boat , I bet 75% of my fish are caught by the one at the back of the boat .

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

So I've been out a number of times on the Missouri River with my brother since my last post and made sure I sat downstream of him when we are drifting so that I come upon the fish first. I believe this has made a big difference. I have outfished or gotten the same number of fish as he has since I have been doing this. Just yesterday we went out on the river near Bismarck. I caught 6 walleye and 1 nice pike (and missed a number of bites). He caught 2. His confidence is getting crushed and I think he is starting to believe that being first on the fish makes a difference.

Just don't forget if you out fish him to much he may quite bringing you with.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member

Excellent. Use your new powers wisely grasshopper.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67