Unit 30 Turkey

Bengals1013

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone looking to get rid of a turkey in unit 30? I've chased the turkeys around the WMA south of Mandan 10 different times this season. Just can't get them to come in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Join the club it's like that state wide. Very few birds want to come into calling. Most birds in my area are extremely hened up and unwilling to come in. Try changing you hunting stile and hunt them like deer. Figure out where they want to be and wait them out. I have done about 15 different sets this year with my kids and have only had one bird come in. We didn't even know he was coming till we packed up and drove the truck by where we were at and he was about 100 yards away.

Bengals1013

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done a lot of spot and stalking and tried to sit where they would come through. There's no pattern to what they do day to day...lol

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
In another week or so the hens will be going to nest in late mornings. I would be out there calling in the late morning and early afternoon. By then the Toms are lonely and looking for some company. And everyone is back home.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anywhere pressured that much the birds get educated on your calling. That and being stuck on the hens. Try finding out where they roost. Set up just off of there before sunrise.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will get better, my favorite time is May 1 through the end of the season. Hens get bred and the boys start roaming around looking more. Really good time to call a biggin in

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Everything that was said above and don't think you have to do all your calling early in the morning. Once hens start nesting toms will respond to calls during the middle of the day. Patience is key. When you think you don't know anyting about calling a turkey, all of a sudden one is going to come in like you're an expert. Once I was using a call that I thought sounded really good. No response, decide to try a different box call and when I struck it I thought Holy S__t, that was bad. Nor more than got the thought out and heard 2 turkeys gobble close. Waited a little bit and used the good one. Nothing. Tried the bad call and got another immediate response that was closer. After a few minutes the 2 toms came right in to 15 and 20 yds. The call they liked hadn't been used in awhile and needed some chalk but the turkeys liked it. Must have been a case of "That's a hen I've never heard in this area."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77