Morel Mushroom

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tick repellet~

Here in minnsewta our ticks thrive on deet,good for mosquito's tho....

Right now ticks are very active,I found permethrin to work the best as a repellent.

Now, a new study by CDC researchers has found that just a minute or two of contact with permethrin-treated clothing caused ticks to become incapacitated or fall off fabric.
The research examined a variety of permethrin-treated clothing types and fabrics. It revealed that the items can be toxic to several species of ticks and at different stages in their life cycles, potentially keeping them from getting beneath clothing and staying next to skin long enough to bite.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, if'n I need to head into the deep brush this time of year, I use a permethrin based spray on my boots and pant legs. It really helps keep the little effers at bay. One thing though is that you aren't supposed to be wearing the jeans when you spray them, do it before you put them on so they have time to dry.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, if'n I need to head into the deep brush this time of year, I use a permethrin based spray on my boots and pant legs. It really helps keep the little effers at bay. One thing though is that you aren't supposed to be wearing the jeans when you spray them, do it before you put them on so they have time to dry.

This is correct. Go to TSC and buy a jug of permethrin. Combine 1oz of permethrin with 19oz of water and spray clothes and boots down a day or two in advance. The permethrin will last for about 2-3 wash cycles. Don't bother with the little bottles of sawyer spray, as you would need a few of them to properly protect the clothing.

Ticks will be fall off your pants before they cross the knee (assuming you're not a midget).

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ticks will be fall off your pants before they cross the knee (assuming you're not a midget).[/QUOTE]

Ahem, vertically challenged.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is correct. Go to TSC and buy a jug of permethrin. Combine 1oz of permethrin with 19oz of water and spray clothes and boots down a day or two in advance. The permethrin will last for about 2-3 wash cycles. Don't bother with the little bottles of sawyer spray, as you would need a few of them to properly protect the clothing.

Ticks will be fall off your pants before they cross the knee (assuming you're not a midget).

Does this work for dogs also?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
btt

- - - Updated - - -

Cat, permethrin is very toxic,infact a few years ago the FDA had retailers take the stuff off the shelves one summer,wouldn't put this stuff on my dogo,this year for the 1st time I'm trying a "seresto" tick/flea collar rather than "frontline" as frontline is also very toxic and only works when ticks bite/attach,my pup got lyme two years ago,was lucky to catch the symptoms early,so far not one tick on my pup as we bush whack everyday clearing brush,turkey hunting,shore fishing just about everywhere ticks lay in ambush,hate them little some beeches,mostly deer ticks in my area so tuff to see em.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this work for dogs also?

I've read up on this a little bit, and it's not advised to use directly on animals. You can, however, use it on and around your property if you want to keep ticks out of certain areas. This stuff is mainly used for agricultural purposes around livestock, barns, etc. to keep other biting insects away.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This does not work for dogs nor should it be applied directly to human skin.
Also, they it comes in aerosol cans and spray bottles so no need to mix it yourself if you want to skip that step.
it is a mosquito repellent at the same time that it is a tick demobilizer.

I would not look for mushrooms or hunt turkeys if it weren’t for permethrin.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
are so many people really terrified of ticks? I almost always feel them crawling on me before they get a chance to bite, I cant remember the last time I found a tick attached, they are too easy to notice before they get where they want to go... They are creepy little buggers tho

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
are so many people really terrified of ticks? I almost always feel them crawling on me before they get a chance to bite, I cant remember the last time I found a tick attached, they are too easy to notice before they get where they want to go... They are creepy little buggers tho

The diseases they carry are nasty. That lonestar tick that can create a meat allergy that keeps expanding it’s range does terrify me as does the thought of living the rest of my life only eating my current food’s food

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lycan,

I’m not terrified of ticks, or mosquitos, or lice, or fleas, or the boogeyman. However, I find life much more enjoyable when I don’t have to deal with them.

The last time I was in the woods without permethrin where I look for shrooms, I bet I pulled off 150 ticks during and after my walk. I also almost always feel them crawling before the get a chance to latch on but like Twitch said, the species of ticks and diseases they carry are ever expanding into this area and elsewhere. It’s not the tick I’m worried about, it’s the nasty shit they spread - kinda of like super-woke liberals.

Those woke liberals are pussies but do their best to take away your guns, your pickup, your rights, your money, your success, AND put mentally ill boys in the bathroom with your wives and daughters.
Ticks are basically just little bugs but they do their best to debilitate your and take away your ability to eat bacon and smoked meats.

Hopefully that helps you understand why permethrin is so important.

Last edited:

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member

When i'm back in MN i'm honestly kind of terrified of deer ticks. Not scared to have a bug on me but I REALLY do not want lymes disease. Their tiny size makes them much harder to feel crawling on you too, when compared to dog ticks. Dog ticks are annoying but I don't stress about them

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Permethrin is the real deal. Even treating just ankle to knee on pant legs is extremely effective for walking. Pick a pair of pants to treat before the season.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Also works great to have a set of treated clothing for shore fishing, camping, hiking, whatever…especially if you have kids and want them to enjoy those activities without getting creeped out.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Permethrin is the real deal.

I've had good results as well. You have to spray and let dry really well as mentioned before because of toxicity. With the black flies up at LOW, I sprayed the carpet in my boat to keep them from congregating out of the wind. It worked quite well.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/false-morel.html

cache.php

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114