Morel Mushroom

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I would suggest to never ingest any mushroom, not even a little, if you're not 100% sure what it is. Like guy said, all mushrooms are edible, but most only once.

As far as Hen of the Woods mushrooms. I've found some and yes they are freaking delicious. Again, do not eat unless completely sure.

This will help you a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SxhSDOmHc

- - - Updated - - -

Hen of the Woods (Grifola frondosa) really is a super shroom health wise
I also agree with guywhohasgoodcommonsense, if a person was really wondering what kind of mushroom you are picking there are apps from google that will help you to identify what type a mushroom it is. I still wouldn't eat a mushroom because personally I dont care much for them, unless they are the magic kind

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to try a giant puffball. I've seen a recipe where you slice them thin, brush with olive oil then grill it. Once done top like you would a pizza and finish in the broiler. Sounds damn good - mushroom crust!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's almost time. Any of you turkey hunters noticed any popping up yet? Still a bit early, but I'm getting the itch to get out and look. I just ate the rest of mine from last year, so I need to stock up again. I dehydrated most of mine last year and they still turned out great.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yes these look exactly like the ones here north of new town, so as far as consuming the shrooms I think in moderation should be ok. The person who I got them from said to only eat half of any part of the mushroom. So i only would eat half the button or half the stem I never took more then that at a time.

I heard you are only suppose to eat one quarter of the mushroom. So I only would eat one quarter the button or one quarter the stem. I never took more than that at a time.

:::

Why not 1/3?
or 1/5?

Your logic puzzles me.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's almost time. Any of you turkey hunters noticed any popping up yet? Still a bit early, but I'm getting the itch to get out and look. I just ate the rest of mine from last year, so I need to stock up again. I dehydrated most of mine last year and they still turned out great.

I would think we are still at least a couple weeks away

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard you are only suppose to eat one quarter of the mushroom. So I only would eat one quarter the button or one quarter the stem. I never took more than that at a time.

:::

Why not 1/3?
or 1/5?

Your logic puzzles me.

Just because I didn't want to take too much at one time, I listened to the guy who I got them from maybe to be on the safe side I suppose. This was like 22 years ago

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
05F2BC2C-2A21-4FBC-AC6A-B98C73DBF48C.jpg

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed a few dandelions today, but haven't noticed any lilacs blooming yet. I'm getting the itch and need to go pick some!

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s a weird year this year, because of the varying snow amounts it will be amazing the soil temp differences within 30 miles..... this is my lilacs 9971596B-064B-4D41-8267-5F14711F6241.jpg

im heading out Sunday for a sneak peak

- - - Updated - - -

FYI my soil temp rural south central ND 49 dgrs taken 8pm(4” down)

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Piles of verpa Bohemica, good ones are coming soon....
357901FA-7965-4291-AAB0-6328E75931FA.jpg

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Phil, you should've blacked out the background....I know :;:exactly where you're at!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone been out? Checked the NDAWN site for Mandan and it said soil temps at 4" were already 63 degrees! That doesn't seem accurate. Does anyone have a better site to monitor soil temps? I might run out today for a quick peak.

donbgon

I'm new to the thread and to morel hunting. I'm in NW ND and went looking today in a couple spots that seem like great habitat. My wife and I found a few ticks and a porcupine. None of the right shrooms though. Anyone having luck yet?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69