Morel Mushroom

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never done the mushroom picking event, but sure do enjoy a good layer of shrooms on my steak.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know i will never get advice on spots. but, how about spores? anyone willing to share them?

DO you mean edible mushrooms? Or some to harvest spores and try growing your own?

I just used broken shrooms or ones with holes in them for my slurry last year. If that's what your looking for I may be able to help you if I have a good year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have almost 40 acres of shroom habitat, but I have no confidence to distinguish between an edible, fun, or deadly mushroom.

I have heard that puffballs are edible when they are small but this morel craze that afflicts people is not something with which I have personal experience. What makes them so damn great?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are a different texture and taste then other mushrooms. I think the fact that they are harder to find and only around for a short time makes them more desirable.

Maybe I'll have to bring Rowdy out there for some bird/ shroom hunting.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me morels have a better flavor than store bought that mostly why I like them. They store great. Morels have a hollow core. There are some fake morels are solid all the way through.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Puffballs are good! They are so big and dense you feel like your frying a steak!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think he was asking for any specific spots. Just the type of area that you usually look. What types of trees, soil, etc.? River bottoms, near cottonwoods, ash, oak, etc.? I've got access to a bunch of private river bottom property but would like to learn a little more about the type of area(s) that they grow in.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think he was asking for any specific spots. Just the type of area that you usually look. What types of trees, soil, etc.? River bottoms, near cottonwoods, ash, oak, etc.? I've got access to a bunch of private river bottom property but would like to learn a little more about the type of area(s) that they grow in.

Take me with you and ill show you everything you need to know. Which river bottom are you speaking? if Missouri you're golden

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are a different texture and taste then other mushrooms. I think the fact that they are harder to find and only around for a short time makes them more desirable.

Maybe I'll have to bring Rowdy out there for some bird/ shroom hunting.

You are more than welcome! I'd have to think there's some at my place as mushrooms are everywhere at times around here.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
20170403_174220.jpg

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gots to ask..this year yet?

thought about starting but low temps seem a little cool yet

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month