Morel Mushroom

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
img_1_1649768607684.jpg

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should be a good spring for morels. There's good moisture in the soil and temps are rising nicely. Watch for dying elms and the 1st blooming of lilacs. Good luck...if you find them, good eating abounds!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found my first ever. There were 10 of its friends very nearby!

Odd part - very public place, no big trees, stumps, or logs. Full sun, no shade. On a boulevard near small trees (10' tall) with wood chips around the base. Wasn't even looking for them!

Do you guys dry them or eat fresh?

20220517_194203.jpg

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Cool Cat! The way of the Hills is: Split in half, rinse out the bugs, soak in mild saltwater for a bit then fry in butter & black pepper. Be easy on the saltwater and any salting in the pan. It can get away from you damn quick. The soak is enough for me. Actually not a big fan any more; strange "milky" taste: Shame.I was away from wild game and morels for my first six years in the Farce. I loved wild food growing up and became squeamish about it: Sucks.

https://youtu.be/TzCxEzzpn90

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Svn!

What was the video about BTW? I was distracted for some reason :;:huh

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Either this device is jacked or it's the site; The vid is how to grow morels. "Sucks" is not supposed to be beside the gd vid...Think it's now fixed. I feel my post on "Eclipse" is good. It's also jacked. Pisses me off.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Either this device is jacked or it's the site; The vid is how to grow morels. "Sucks" is not supposed to be beside the gd vid...Think it's now fixed. I feel my post on "Eclipse" is good. It's also jacked. Pisses me off.

Must be on your end.....all I saw was the video on how to grow morels

Edit: Ooops, see it now...

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Morels.jpg
Going to post this here and see what everyone thinks? I posted on another sight and had lots of warning not to eat the ones in the picture, also ended up learning something I didn't know (which isn't new:cool:).

Anyway, we were in Minnesota scouting for new fall bear baiting sights and stumbled across a few morels. We let the landowner know we found some and he came out and we looked and picked for about an hour. We ate maybe a dozen in the cabin that evening and he took the rest for his wife.

My question for you diehard pickers, do you see anything wrong with them?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
schooms are popping good now in my area.

Cat I suspect your little nugget came from a critter that ate morels somewhere a took a shit in those wood chips,morel spores live on,infact when schooming we wear a vented pouch on our pant loop,spores fall thru the vent holes seeding the area for next year schooms1.jpg as we collect morels,spores fall thru the vents and populate a wider area,best outter wear (bag) I found for this is my empty shotshell bag I use on the trap range rather than letting empties fall on the ground.

yeah rinse well,real butter,little salt/pepper crushed garlic,good to go.

schooms.jpg

Trapper,your pic don't look like morels,but hey your still above ground today,did you have a magic carpet ride?lol

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2305.jpeg
Going to post this here and see what everyone thinks? I posted on another sight and had lots of warning not to eat the ones in the picture, also ended up learning something I didn't know (which isn't new:cool:).

Anyway, we were in Minnesota scouting for new fall bear baiting sights and stumbled across a few morels. We let the landowner know we found some and he came out and we looked and picked for about an hour. We ate maybe a dozen in the cabin that evening and he took the rest for his wife.

My question for you diehard pickers, do you see anything wrong with them?

Hey man--I see two poison ones--"false morels". I don't know if the whole batch is tainted due to contact.

https://youtu.be/94DvWusj61w

Rugeruser

Went out yesterday, found some of them like what trapper took home. I left them alone but could not see morels anywhere! Still a little early? Is it best in the dense wooded areas or more toward the meadows? It’s been 12 years since i been out to look for them, would they still be on the property? Imagine so but dont want to catch lyme disease looking in the wrong places

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
half free morel.jpgYep my other post got blasted with poisonous false morel posts and to "contact the owner immediately so they don't eat them" type of stuff.

What had me confused is that all the caps and stems where hollow just like a morel. A northern Minnesota person posted that they were not false morel nor were they poisonous, but they were what he called "half-free morels", I looked them up and sure enough the majority of what we picked were as he described and edible. I did out of caution let the landowner know right away what I was told and he said that they already ate them and were fine and had been eating them for years.

I have never heard of a "half-free morel"? But my morel knowledge is pretty much zero other than they taste great!

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many ticks are out there? I just checked a minnow trap yesterday and just a few yards and I had a bunch of ticks.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive been out and about quite a bit this spring and tick numbers are definitely down from most years, ive only found a few so far, thinking the drought last year has something to do with it. I might have to do some 'hunting' this weekend, I have only ever found a few and they were old and not worth eating, maybe Ill time it correctly this year and get enough to make a meal...

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good eye/post sv.... better to be on the safe side.

trapper,

never herd of half morel either,but my area is enendated with real morels and later "chicken of the woods" growth.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dunno no....nope don't share myself,all mine,battle ticks/skeeters couple good meals and done until next year,that's my fix,kinda like our smelt fry's once a year,one n done,tasty little bastards with a cold beer.

anything is tasty when consumed with enough beer

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75