Morel Mushroom

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a little searching yesterday and came up empty mushroom wise. Was very successful tick wise.

So no luck yet [MENTION=1305]dean nelson[/MENTION] We need some rain.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can tell you that In my neck of the woods, if we don’t get some rain soon, the morel season will be over. Normally, with these soil and air temps, this would be prime time. What few morels popped up did so a week ago. I found about 15 on the year so far. Last year was closer to 1500 but we had the rain.
It is unbelievably dry out there, at least in the places I look. With steady temps in the 80s coming up I would say the morel season is already down to it’s final 10 days at best and already said and done at worst.
Regardless of the mushrooms, we need the moisture. It looks Less green than the middle of August out there.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live on a tiny river, and see other shrooms but not morels. Is there a way to make them happen? also is it look for morels when lilacs bud? or bloom?

Side note, only one tick so far this year while on beaver patrol, but 3 tree killers became fertilizer. I assume the cool weather is at play in the lack of ticks, seems like the cruel twist mother nature is known for.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got back from a quick trip to my best spot. Nothing! Hoping the rain this weekend helps, but it's not looking good.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I live on a tiny river, and see other shrooms but not morels. Is there a way to make them happen? also is it look for morels when lilacs bud? or bloom?

Depends on the soil temp and moisture level where you are looking. I’ve found morels before any lilacs had buds and I’ve found them when lilacs have been full bloom for awhile. Generally speaking, if lilacs have buds or blossoms and you’ve had rain, there are morels up SOMEWHERE, but you gotta be looking in the right place. You’re usually not looking for them under the lilac bushes, after all. It’s just a general indicator. Same with the dandelion bloom.

It took me forever to find my first one...like years and years. The reason was that I was looking at the wrong time and under the wrong conditions. I was Usually looking in the right places at least, but that doesn’t do it. It all has to add up. Just like fishing or hunting...gotta be in the right place in the right time with the right conditions. Two out of three doesn’t cut it.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend brought over a bag of fresh morels last night and we cooked them up in some butter with a little garlic and a splash of soy. First time I've ever had them and now I know what all the fuss is about. Wow are they awesome! Totally tasted like very tender pieces of fillet mignon. Still thinking about it this morning and now I want MORE!!!!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone been out? Checked the NDAWN site for Mandan and it said soil temps at 4" were already 63 degrees! That doesn't seem accurate. Does anyone have a better site to monitor soil temps? I might run out today for a quick peak.

That would be the best data for the Mandan area. It's been dry, that's allowed soils to dry out and temps to skyrocket this spring.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Checked my spot in Bismarck area and couldnt find any. Ticks plentiful.

donbgon

We're getting a fair amount of rain today. Do you all think it's too late for the morels?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you got rain and your temps haven’t been too high you can find morels. Depends on those two things and where you are located.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Morel distribution, because it is dependent on geology and biology, is quite localized. Missouri River valley can be good. Sandy well drained soils. Elms, cottonwoods, and aspen seem to be a necessary element. Red River valley blows because soil and tree species are wrong.

We are smack dab in the middle of go-time in the east - but it’s been too dry to be a banner year.

- - - Updated - - -

If I lived in western ND I could tell you if there were any out there. Because if there were, I’d find them. Hee hee.

- - - Updated - - -

7BD6D125-604D-4F3B-BCDB-FBC526A93254.jpg
processing the day’s find - this Saturday

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 84