Morel Mushroom

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No mushroom hunting here, but do have a tree in my front yard that budded when we started to warm up, then rolled in the cold weather, now it sits rather dead looking, but has green under the bark, and is very pliable, not sure if it will come out of it, or if it is now mushroom food.

Big 20 year old tree that is really hard to replace, so hoping someone on here knows what should be done to maybe get it alive looking.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah in the MO river valley it might have been over before it started.....too warm too early with zero moisture...

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
No mushroom hunting here, but do have a tree in my front yard that budded when we started to warm up, then rolled in the cold weather, now it sits rather dead looking, but has green under the bark, and is very pliable, not sure if it will come out of it, or if it is now mushroom food.

Big 20 year old tree that is really hard to replace, so hoping someone on here knows what should be done to maybe get it alive looking.

What kind of tree?

Cashmans in Bismarck is very knowledgeable and helpful over the phone....their number is: 701-222-tree, tree, tree, tree

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not to derail the tree question but Back to morels for this post - I looked HARD where I normally find them. 3 inches of rain last week but as I feared and as I expected, too little to late. Soil to warm before the moisture came and no morels. Season was over before it started, at least where I normally look.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

The elms in our area look like they took shots of dicamba. I was wondering if they were all dead/dying last week. A couple in my yard.

They're slowly crawling back w new buds.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be surprised if there aren't lots more trees of the same kind with that same issue around Dickinson. You guys ducked into really hard freeze after they budded out - not?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The elms in our area look like they took shots of dicamba. I was wondering if they were all dead/dying last week. A couple in my yard.

They're slowly crawling back w new buds.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be surprised if there aren't lots more trees of the same kind with that same issue around Dickinson. You guys ducked into really hard freeze after they budded out - not?
Yes we did, but all the rest of the trees in my neighborhood, and in my yard are about full leaf stage, and this one looks like it did for the last month. Alive, but looking dead.

Hoping you are correct that it will snap into a growth period, as we are going to be in the high 90's starting tomorrow, and for a few days. Need some shade from her.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's almost time to start looking. All this rain in the central part of the state has me excited for a few days of warmer temperatures.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been eye ballin my goto spots in SE minnesota river bottoms whilst turkey hunting,key in my area is all the "elm tree's" they seem to gravitate to,this warm wet weather will have em popping like my asparagas popping up big time last few days.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that go out and find tons of them, do you ever sell any to local restaurants? Is it legal to sell them without some type of permit?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never sold them…but I think for the first time in three years I’m actually going to get into them again!

I figured this thread would be revived one of these days!

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you have to be licensed to sell to restaurants....well legally anyways. I ventured out yesterday and it's still very early (somehow). All the rain is warming up the ground some but need lots more sun. Nothing much of anything growing right now in the woods. The sandy river bottoms may be completely different as the more sandy the soil the earlier they will pop. Right now think early spots still...edges of fields, sand, etc...they are probably some to be found

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
morel hunting is dumb

- - - Updated - - -

lots of ticks, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

very difficult

- - - Updated - - -

lots of walking

- - - Updated - - -

not really worth the effort

- - - Updated - - -

people should fish instead

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For you guys that go out and find tons of them, do you ever sell any to local restaurants? Is it legal to sell them without some type of permit?

Dunno no....nope don't share myself,all mine,battle ticks/skeeters couple good meals and done until next year,that's my fix,kinda like our smelt fry's once a year,one n done,tasty little bastards with a cold beer.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I eat a ribeye steak every week, the pleasure is mine

LOL juanr,steak with or w/o morels? curious minds need to know these things,my fav steak is a bone in ribeye but sadly can't afford them these days,even chicken prices are crazy high,my beef steaks are "chuck-eye" these days,right up there with ribeye as far as flavor grilled.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor ate a morel - and a year later he voted for Biden!

Not saying for sure the morel caused it - but I'm not taking any chances. Just not worth the risk.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor ate a morel - and a year later he voted for Biden!

Not saying for sure the morel caused it - but I'm not taking any chances. Just not worth the risk.
Yup, the pheasant roosters out west here got into them now too, they all decided to move to Aberdeen SD, so that's kinda weird

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76