ND Otters?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have a trap set on the first day. I picked up one hit by a car a few years ago and warden wouldn't let me keep it.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 4 years ago I had an otter on a trail camera out by Mayville, that was pretty neat.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually see a couple otters a year swimming in the English Coulee behind my house in Grand Forks. Fun to watch, I always see them in pairs, and they also seem to like to play around together. Very cool animals.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are a bunch of whores, next thing you know you have the VD and your change is missing off your dresser.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the pop need to be reduced? They are cool animals... Are they destructive in any way?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
they are eating my fish and tearing up my lawn

- - - Updated - - -

OK, that last part was a lie

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picked up a road kill mink once. The wife was with and asked me what the hell I wanted that for. I told her it was for a mink bikini, and I only needed two more mink. Couch was comfy.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure I agree with the season being statewide in ND, but rather on the boundary waters, Red River. My understanding is that they are trapped on the Minnesota side and we have many incidental catches on the ND side that can't be kept, so this would provide those trappers the opportunity to keep them. Then again, I would love to keep one if I caught one in the Turtle Mtns too!

Rick, any work being done on getting a Pine Martin season up this way?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say there is a very good population on the red river we have been seeing them for over 10 years.

Rick Tischaefer

Hello Pat,

River otters are in the Missouri River system all the way to Montana, Mouse River watershed, Upper Souris NWR, Sheyenne watershed, and like you said, every tributary in the east that's somehow connected to the Red River. That's why it's statewide. Water with rough fish and a population of crustaceans is key, so you might have to travel out of the hills to catch one. Yes, I am still headstrong with pine marten/fisher because folks want it. It's good I have a hard head, and I know some progress is being made with Jeb Williams as the Wildlife Division Chief. I know G&F intends to submit a wildlife research grant to take another look at marten and fisher in similar fashion to the 2007 - 2009 research. There is a professor up at Dakota College (and his students) that would be doing the work. Stay tuned I guess.

Thanks, Rick

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a great spot for trapping this fall. Anyone familiar with dakota zoo security...asking for a friend that wants some otter bibs

I think the guy with the goat years back got past the Zoo's security just long enough. but did get caught

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the guy with the goat years back got past the Zoo's security just long enough. but did get caught

Care to refresh my memory on that one? I vaguely recall hearing something about this but the details elude me.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say there is a very good population on the red river we have been seeing them for over 10 years.

Back in 2007-08, I fished a bunch on the Red in GF. Mostly by the north dam. One day had a river otter swim up not five feet from me on the bank and was just chattering away. Pretty curious fella. I prayed he wouldn't find my cut sucker laying on the bottom. I didn't feel like wrestling a 4/0 circle hook out of that bastage. But it was neat to see. Did not expect that at all. I also saw a Fisher running along the bank one morning. Same spot. Definitely was not an otter as it was climbing trees and whatnot.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting to hear that otters have recolonized the western part of the state.

I have to admit though that I have not run across any out on the Missouri. Cool critters, I may even stop fishing if they are out playing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

haha. I forgot about donny M. He collected a lot of cans around my home town for as long as I can remember.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the guy was from Montana (seriously)

Good ole Center, ND. At least I always remember him living there. He always lived in low-rent housing and walked around constantly looking for empty cans, many of which, we provided. He asked us not to crush our busch light cans because the bag gets to heavy to carry.
Well, Donny moved to Bismarck in his twilight years. One night he must have gotten cold so he crawled into one of the enclosures to cuddle up with the animals. He got caught.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0374.jpg
Cousin got one a few years back trapping for fisher. Snapped a pic before the GNF picked it up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75