Wells County

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good God! I am so tired of these jackwagons who give the rest of us who gave it their best, a black eye. Is it that GD'd hard to try and be fair and honest? I hope the sonuvabitch goes away for a long time.

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I skimmed through the documents. This sheriff (Lawson) is scum of the earth. It was his meth buddy that tortured the man with the ice auger that later died and he knew about it. He allowed home burglaries (in my opinion a violent crime) to occur. Warnings were ignored. He probably won't see near enough time behind bars. Where do the people of Wells county go to get their trust back?

My opinion of law enforcement drops another notch. I don't think the ones near me even do random drug tests, like many of us do.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I skimmed through the documents. This sheriff (Lawson) is scum of the earth. It was his meth buddy that tortured the man with the ice auger that later died and he knew about it. He allowed home burglaries (in my opinion a violent crime) to occur. Warnings were ignored. He probably won't see near enough time behind bars. Where do the people of Wells county go to get their trust back?

My opinion of law enforcement drops another notch. I don't think the ones near me even do random drug tests, like many of us do.

I feel bad for the next sheriff that gets hired for wells county he is going to have to work extra hard to regain trust I would think. The other thing that is crazy is the wells county commission allowed him to hire deputies and they all had no experience or peace officer training.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another story that this reminds me of is the brossarts in nelson county, that was also a confrontation with the sheriff. Randy Brossart was acquitted of those charges still that family is fucking crazy.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another story that this reminds me of is the brossarts in nelson county, that was also a confrontation with the sheriff. Randy Brossart was acquitted of those charges still that family is fucking crazy.
I heard some crazy stories about a deputy Wolf in Devils Lake years ago. That's your neck of the woods. I would be curious if that name ever floated past you.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't let this bad apple give you the impression that it is a wide spread problem.

Every occupation ends up having a piece of shit hired into it, by no means should any of you think this is a representation of our officers.

A bad apple should not spoil the whole bunch, I know a lot of great peace officers, and they are as ashamed of this shit as you and I.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine being say a kid busted @ a party by this guy or his dept and the lifelong distrust of LE that instills upon them.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Corruption within law enforcement should carry a significantly higher punishment.

yes - this guy should see 20 years MINIMUM

Also - who has oversight of the sheriff's department? Who dropped the ball besides the county? What repercussions will the county commission see?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
None really. The county oversees the budgeting of LE, but the people of the county elected the sheriff and it's fully within his purview to hire deputies as he sees fit. Bad deal all around.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND BCI has no oversight/authority? A person with a complaint about a sheriff has no recourse?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I wouldn't say there's NO recourse. If the sheriff is implicated in the breaking of a law, BCI can surely investigate, as can the feds.

If it just comes down to not liking the sheriff, well...it's an elected position. Take it to the voters or maybe even the county commission. We've seen the CC move to remove sheriffs a few times over the past several years. If nothing else, the governor acting on recommendations from the CC can remove a sheriff. Which, is what I think happened not that long ago in Mckenzie County. I think it has something to do with it being an elected position but maybe someone with a better background in law can help us understand the mechanisms.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can tell you first hand how hard it is to hire and retain quality people in small town/rural ND. County Commissioners don't often get to pick from the cream of the crop when appointing positions such as: Sheriff, Sheriff Deputies, State's Attorney so on and so forth. The problem is compounded by the fact that these positions require that the person who holds them live in that county, and the general case load and budget limits your ability to offer a wage that encourages a good candidate to pick up and move to small town ND. Even worse yet sometimes you have a person run for these positions that is a complete wack-job and incompetent. With out a challenger on the ballot they win and receive the position even if the majority of citizens do not vote for them!!!! Then your stuck with them until they get caught running meth......

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably works the same with trying to attract good teachers,Dr's, nurses, etc to small communities, which is sad. But..on a lighter note, half of the Dr's in this world graduated in the bottom half of their class.:;:smokin

HolePuncher

Cop took some of the drugs of people he busted gave them to his boy who is already at the pen waiting to for his dad to going him....... F***ing idiot...... Like they say what do cops fear more than dieng on the job...a cop going to prison !!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69