Porqupines

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went out one night with a rancher in eastern wyo while on a deer hunt,he had it figured out,we would ride along open pasture terraine on horse back scanning the tree line with a flash light,old timmer said thats when they travel on the ground,at night as a rule.

Once we spotted one Old boy would jump off his horse with a .22 pistol,grab the porky by the sruff of the neck(no quills) and shoot the critter in the head,skin it and eat the darn thing cooked over a camp fire,said they damage the hell outof his pine tree's so they thin the herd out now and then.Interesting night.

PS~ Darn thing grilled over a pit fire was darn good,or maybe it was because we were knee deep into moonshine?

Last edited:

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also kill all porqupine and skunks with extreme predudise they are good for nothing except target practice

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeper, was a fun afternoon, golf cart, 22 pistol and a ruger 10/22 that I converted to look like an AR complete with a 22 AR scope, bi-pod and dual 25 round clips. It was an absolute blast.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad ground squirrel is non season, picked up a 5gal bucket full of dead ones after yesterdays blood bath. For some reason the farm stead is over run with them.

Please PM me w/address-coordinates. I have a new to me 541S arriving next week that I'd love to take a gopher safari. I won't even ask you to pay for ammo (grin)

Regarding the OP, you'll only pick porky quills outta your dog once before deciding that they should all be shot on sight. Same goes for skunks and badgers.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and i used to carry some old towels or jeans ect with while out in the field to throw on top of the porkys to get the quills. Wife would sell the quills to all sorts of art and craft shop people by the baggy and made some decent pocket change from that. The quills need to come from a live animal though they stay pliable and flexible. Something happens to them the instant the animal dies they become brittle and break easily and can not be used for artcy fartcy stuff then.

I only kill the ones that are killing trees, if they are in an area with nothing but brushy cover and no trees i leave them be.

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and i used to carry some old towels or jeans ect with while out in the field to throw on top of the porkys to get the quills. Wife would sell the quills to all sorts of art and craft shop people by the baggy and made some decent pocket change from that. The quills need to come from a live animal though they stay pliable and flexible. Something happens to them the instant the animal dies they become brittle and break easily and can not be used for artcy fartcy stuff then.

I only kill the ones that are killing trees, if they are in an area with nothing but brushy cover and no trees i leave them be.

Thats odd. Every market I've heard of wants them dry. They are much easier to pull, including guard hairs when the porky has been dead a little while. The guard hairs are more valuable than the quils and are used to make native head dresses.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats the reason for throwing a piece of cloth on a live one they load the cloth up with a ton of quills when they are trying to throw it off with their tail just like when they are doing when protecting themselves from predators. I know my wife got lots of calls for the pliable ones they were able to do more stuff with them when crafting art. Not sure about the hairs she never talked about that. I am sure they use all of the stuff from dead animals just in different ways. maybe the quills from live ones were harder to come by. Wife said nobody she sold to wanted the quills from the dead ones. Thats been about 10+ years ago since she has collected and sold any that i am aware of but i see a bags of them in a drawer now and then lol.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76