I've got a ground squirrel infestation

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moved into a new house inside city limits. Lawn isn't in yet. Just discovered a ground squirrel sticking his head out of the ground. I'm actually kind of fond of those little striped critters... but not in my yard. Suggestions?

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Do you have dogs or small children running around? If not, I would suggest some poison down the holes then cover them up. If so, either a pellet gun or a blow gun, or shwack em with a field point from your bow (if youre into that sort of thing).

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snare over the hole with heavy fishing line. A rod and reel works well for the sweep. Caught a ton snaring as a kid. Drowning them out can work as well, but you have to put something over the hole like a fine mesh landing net so they don't bolt out right when you start pouring. Sure reminds me of simpler times.:)

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had me goin for a second,thought you had a woodchuck we call ground hogs,nasty devils...

So, a striped gopher,1st line of defense~ and if the pup does'nt do the trick,2nd line of defense, killer.jpg

gopher killer.jpg

Last edited:

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
They were there long before you built the house, be one with the nature.....just kidding murder them vermin!!!! ;)

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually the pup 1st! but shooting is way more fun~

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were me, I'd let'er buck for awhile. As it's a new house, first find out if they will be a problem. They may not be and then you can enjoy watching them play "Whack a mole" with you and anything else that comes along. If you find out they are not a good addition, then use whatever control method best fits your situation. Good Luck!!

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only rodents that suck are the ones that creates those mounds of dirt everywhere. I would relax, ground squirrels don't really like human activity and will eventually leave, if it is just one or two of them. However, if you built a house over one of their towns, prepare for all out war.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would let it be for now too. they tend not to mound and just have level holes and it might be enjoyable having him/her around for a pit. if it turns out to be a problem, it will be easy to dispose of.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you could rent Catwalker's ninja-trained hunting feline.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last summer I kept seeing a striped gopher around then found his hole in the back yard, I let it go for a while, but he kept digging up spots in the yard, so I finally had enough and gathered up a bunch of fresh dog poop and shoved down into the hole. I haven't seen him since or found any new holes. Maybe I pissed him off enough to leave I don't know, but I find it funny.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've tried this with a jug with a bigger opening and never got it to work.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a good B B gun will do the the job, I would prefer a 30-06 just aim low, cleans them right out

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74