Another monster Muskie~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
However this time is was found dead on mille lacs but most likey would've been a new state record~

591/2" wowzer!

But it doesn’t shrink in length. While growth slows tremendously for muskies as they reach old age, they aren’t believed to actually stop growing. But that doesn’t mean every fish will reach 59 1/2 inches if it manages to stay healthy long enough. While muskies aren’t native to Mille Lacs, it’s among a relatively small number of lakes in the state where muskies can find the forage — namely tullibees, or ciscoes — to grow massive. But it takes more than that to reach 59 1/2 inches, Mero said.

“Many females won’t get over 54 inches, no matter where they live. Think about how many 7-foot people there are in the world. There’s a genetic element at work in a fish like this.”

Gilbert said he had no reason to keep the fish.

“After I held it up for a photo, I just dropped it back in,” he said. “I figured that was the way to show some respect for the fish. It still smelled up my boat for two weeks.”

ski.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, read the same article. And they aged it by the fact that it had one of its pelvic fins clipped off. Would have been released in either 1992 or 1997, if I recall the article well enough...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
yUp,they figure 1992,what a monster tho...

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
i figure i will just be the first to say, "should've pickled it".

FYI - Floater skis are actually a delicacy beyond pickled ski. They're best around the 8 day mark but can be eaten in as few as 3 days if the highs reach 90 +

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should have taken it to a weigh station to make it a state record.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wonder what that guy was doing out there? Everybody knows the natives netted out all the fish on that lake.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Musky was caught in a net and natives "let it go" to preserve their walleye quota

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does this fish float while dead? It would be belly up right? Think of the walleye lives saved with its demise.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a chance the natives netted this beast,no such thing as catch and release with gill netts,however if they did nett this sucker and threw it back dead like all the pike we've seen over the years it would've floated up when the water temps hit 60+ degrees.Few years back the natives netted a giant like this then paraded around the lake and bait shops showing it off.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's funny is that people are wondering how many times that thing was caught and released.

I wager it maybe, MAYBE, was caught once after it was stocked. If someone would have caught a fish of that magnitude in this day and age, you damn well know the world woulda heard about it.

The thought that will drive musky anglers NUTS is that fish was caught and released by accident as a youngin by a walleye angler pulling BBs and, because it was a smart SOB, never got caught again. It hung around and picked of walleye fingerlings from the stocking pump (because it was stocked...no dummy there, just waited for more recruits to come and fill his belly) and grew big and fat until she just died of old age.

Marinade on that a bit...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73