allow deer baiting

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
October 28th 6:30 pm, the "allow deer baiting" guys are meeting at the Badlands Bar and Grill in Minot.

If you are interested in this, it would be great to have more guys there.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have any more info on these guys prior to the event?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never baited for deer. Authoritarianism in the name of CWD is no different than environmental terrorism and COVID hysteria.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
KFYR-TV is doing a story about CWD and baiting. They did an interview with John Arman. It may be on at 5:00 this evening.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love baiting deer. Actually, I haven't in a long time. I used to put minerals out, dump apples all over, buy whatever crap I could find at scheels. I never hunted over it, I just wanted to attract deer to our land and try to keep them around. For some reason it didn't have any real results as far as deer numbers and them staying on the land. After a few of years of figuring this out, I quit wasting my money.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very vocal about my position on deer baiting from an adaptive hunting standpoint. I'll be interested to see how this all goes down. There are a significant amount of unintended consequences to a bait ban for people with physical disabilities. A bait ban all but eliminates our ability to get our adaptive hunters opportunities to be successful.

What makes me steam is having to explain to our participants that we are losing a tool to help us be successful because the G&F "need to say we did something". I've asked numerous times for any hard data saying that what has been done is decreasing the spread or showing that baiting increases it and I have been shown nothing. I made the statement in an advisory meeting that if they could show me a single piece of data that I would change my position and they couldn't. Because of that, I can't not keep fighting to keep our program successful.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Deer baiting doesn't matter to me, as I've never had the need to and have been successful harvesting my deer every year. nor do I discriminate against those that do bait - afterall its legal and their choice.

Ive heard many opinions and arguments on why it should be allowed but rarely bares any logic. IMHO baiting just allows the lazy hunter to be more selective and harvest the bigger bucks.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer baiting doesn't matter to me, as I've never had the need to and have been successful harvesting my deer every year. nor do I discriminate against those that do bait - afterall its legal and their choice.

Ive heard many opinions and arguments on why it should be allowed but rarely bares any logic. IMHO baiting just allows the lazy hunter to be more selective and harvest the bigger bucks.
Especially those super lazy ones who choose to be paralyzed or have degenerative neurological issues. 😉 Those jerks should be real hunters and get out and walk more.

I'm being a bit of a smartass I know, but rules like this affect everyone.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
big bucks over bait? i guess i would need to know how one defines "big". but, in my experience a person rarely sees a big buck over a bait pile during shooting hours. i am sure it happens. but, seems more rare than it is common.
Exactly. I know bait piles have helped a lot of first time/young bow hunters get into the sport as well as older folks or people crunched for time get the opportunity to see and harvest deer. Usually they aren't shooting giants, just happy to be able to sit and see some critters.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Especially those super lazy ones who choose to be paralyzed or have degenerative neurological issues. 😉 Those jerks should be real hunters and get out and walk more.

I'm being a bit of a smartass I know, but rules like this affect everyone.
Smartass I can handle, just dont put words in my mouth. Im not referring to folks with disabilities as lazy, I think/hope you can understand that.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Exactly. I know bait piles have helped a lot of first time/young bow hunters get into the sport as well as older folks or people crunched for time get the opportunity to see and harvest deer. Usually they aren't shooting giants, just happy to be able to sit and see some critters.
Well teach kids to hunt! Teach them animals habits, patterns, trails, food sources, where to set stands, wind directions, etc. to make them successful. Too many people rely on baiting to harvest a deer is all Im saying. My grandpa sat on an old hay wagon during his last few good years. Yeah I could've set out 800# of shelled corn, but we sat him on known trails with proper wind direction and not one time over bait - he always shot his deer.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smartass I can handle, just dont put words in my mouth. Im not referring to folks with disabilities as lazy, I think/hope you can understand that.
I do, that was all tongue-in-cheek. I know exactly what you were saying.

Shitty part of the internet is it’s hard to tell if someone is messing around or not.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
big bucks over bait? i guess i would need to know how one defines "big". but, in my experience a person rarely sees a big buck over a bait pile during shooting hours. i am sure it happens. but, seems more rare than it is common.

I do, that was all tongue-in-cheek. I know exactly what you were saying.

Shitty part of the internet is it’s hard to tell if someone is messing around or not.
Agreed. thanks man!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
For WIW a couple guys I know in the Hills began baiting (corn/minerals) at the end of July. By the middle of August they began to receive hundreds of turkey/bear/doe pics by day and bucks at night. One guy stopped placing corn in Sept. in hope of "legally' shooting a turkey/bear in the middle of Oct and discovered turkey/bear and one coyote also love dirt and minerals when not "present" in the stand. Laws were changed this year concerning fall turkey season. In WV penalties are stiff for shooting a bear (retarded--hound lobby) or turkey over "bait". "Bait" is in lawyer quotations.

The rut has started in the Hills and yesterday one guy was able to pattern and kill an old 110ish 9pt with its nose up a doe's ass on a foggy 57 degree; "Thank you Al Gore" morning.

Point being: Baiting seems to have the same effect as rubbing PowerBait Trout Paste on a lure. It may help: OR have the diminishing returns of a .25/.50 BMG. Outside a high fence the advantages of baiting are dubious. All one can do is "keep" does coming to the stand which is no different than a good set-up watching a full apple tree etc. Uncle Ted (whom I love) has somehow been able to rationalize HF as keeping "undesirables" "out". I guess keeping African game would cause this way of thinking.

IMHO.

That is all:

SlickTrick125

Founding Member
Founding Member
My thoughts on baiting are like many other people posted. Do it if you want or don’t. I do have one spot that I use corn for bow hunting and a few others on trails where it isn’t necessary. The spot I bait is done for two reasons. First, I enjoy getting pictures of deer that are in the area, and second it turns a spot that would normally require a lot of luck to shoot a deer into a better possibility of success. Not everyone has access to big draws or creek bottoms that are ideal for bow hunting. So in my opinion it gives hunters opportunities that they may not normally have.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
CWD is going to spread all over eventually and there is no stopping it. Banning baiting is not going to prevent the spread!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70