Antelope cape

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A raw one or one tanned out? I don’t have a tag but might know some others

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you put this request into context (like how you accidentally drug the hair off your goat dragging it with your hunting mule) you'll maybe have more success:)

Nephew decided to mount his antelope after cutting the head off earlier.;:;banghead

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nephew decided to mount his antelope after cutting the head off earlier.;:;banghead

they've got such an unusual transition to horn (vs antlers) I wonder how the taxi will do that.

Have you confirmed with taxi if this is feasible?

And if so - what are instructions for the cape donator? Should they leave entire cape/head intact (freezer) and then let your nephew's taxi worry about removing it then get horns back? Maybe free euro or at least cleaned skull thrown in?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
they've got such an unusual transition to horn (vs antlers) I wonder how the taxi will do that.

And if so - what are instructions for the cape donator? Should they leave entire cape/head intact (freezer) and then let your nephew's taxi worry about removing it then get horns back? Maybe free euro or at least cleaned skull thrown in?

yes they can do it. happens often with the temperatures most antelope are taking in

there is nothing unusual about antelopes horns it is 100% myth their horns are made up of hair. do a euro mount of one and you will see the horns are "buried" down into the hair but i guess i dont think that is odd.

- - - Updated - - -

most taxi will offer to buy a good antelope cape. to be honest it happens that often

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member

I am his taxidermist and yes I would be willing to pay for the cape.

HuntnFish96

If it wasn't for such a hard weekend trying to find land to hunt on I would have given you a cape if I went back down to Bowman.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Deer antler bases are just as different then pronghorns why do you think they would be any harder to do then a deer? A pronghorn just has sheaths covering their inner horn.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer antler bases are just as different then pronghorns why do you think they would be any harder to do then a deer? A pronghorn just has sheaths covering their inner horn.

With antlers there's a stark transition from hide/hair to bone (antler) - so it's easy to remove cape perfectly

with pronghorn the horn and hair transition is more gradual so I imagined that the person caping a pronghorn out could make life miserable for the taxidermist depending on where he feels that transition is and how he does it

so I simply brought it up as a possible complication when fitting a cape on another pronghorn so the donor should maybe be given additional instructions or hand head to taxidermist

guess I was trying to be overly helpful and was somewhat curious as to whether it was an issue or not

up on the wall where you can't see the transition then maybe no big deal - but on a pedestal mount it might be hard to hide

but what the hell do I know... carry on

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
With antlers there's a stark transition from hide/hair to bone (antler) - so it's easy to remove cape perfectly

with pronghorn the horn and hair transition is more gradual so I imagined that the person caping a pronghorn out could make life miserable for the taxidermist depending on where he feels that transition is and how he does it

so I simply brought it up as a possible complication when fitting a cape on another pronghorn so the donor should maybe be given additional instructions or hand head to taxidermist

guess I was trying to be overly helpful and was somewhat curious as to whether it was an issue or not

up on the wall where you can't see the transition then maybe no big deal - but on a pedestal mount it might be hard to hide

but what the hell do I know... carry on
You pull the hair down and cut around the sheaths:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just yesterday I was talking with a South African who comes here to work in ag each summer. Interesting guy to have a beer with. Anyway, he's been coming for over 5 yrs now and we got to talking about hunting (go figure) and he'd never even heard of our pronghorn before. He was completely fascinated by them.

He was amazed at the number of North Dakotans who make the trek to hunt in South Africa. It all became clear though once I started explaining costs to hunt elk and moose on guided hunts out west and Alaska. Anyway, I am now hoping to have opened a path to a safari some day. Sometimes it's good to be the designated grill operator at a cookout!

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
I likely could have one for you this weekend. Where are you located?

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a nice antelope cape.
Also a good sized Canadian whitetail buck cape.
And a nice ND whitetail buck cape.
And possibly a beautiful ND moose cape, moms trying to decide weather to euro or mount it.
If you need any let me know.

Last edited:

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent you a P.M.

I have a nice antelope cape.
Also a good sized Canadian whitetail buck cape.
And a nice ND whitetail buck cape.
And possibly a beautiful ND moose cape, moms trying to decide weather to euro or mount it.
If you need any let me know.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75