audubone smallies

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this has been asked before but..... thinking about running my boys up to Audubon and try some smallies as I hear they seem to be catching them. I know there is some die hard guys that chase bass and I do not want spots, secrets anything. but for a guys that fishes walleyes primarily any tips? any types of structure or depth to target? Thanks guys please feel free to PM me if wanted. I do not intend to become a bass fisherman rather a change of pace for a wknd.

my computer has a sticky key, forgive the typos...haha

Last edited:

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not a bass expert but I have always had luck throwing spinnerbaites and top water poppers over weed beds. Also I have slip bobbered leaches along the rock embankment and did well.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^what he said. Also plastic swim baits work well, might even catch a bonus walleye or 5.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
slip bobbers and leeches eh!?! brings me back to my high schools days and devils lake walleyes. thanks guys. I would take bonus walleye or five!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
An as sometimes rather frequent McClusky Canal fisherman i can confirm that a 1/4jig with any type of powerbait will smash some bass. Topwater lures around this time of year should work well. Actually, if i'm being honest, about the only thing i haven't caught a smallie on yet is a daredevil. Best part about pitching jigs off the bottom is you may run into a walleye or five like @H82bogey said.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
My advice? Guys that bass fish do it cause they can't catch walleyes! Go into the shallows (when it's not crazy hot) and rip jig just like u know how to do for eyes and u will be successful.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My advice? Guys that bass fish do it cause they can't catch walleyes! Go into the shallows (when it's not crazy hot) and rip jig just like u know how to do for eyes and u will be successful.

Worlds worst bass fisherman right here

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worlds worst bass fisherman right here
How dare you besmirch the good name of the illustrious walleye angler. No fisherman has ever been smarter or braver than the walleye snob. They wear their jorts and white sneakers with great zest, dragging the most skillful of bottom oriented rigs. Anyone who pursues a different species is not only a subpar angler, but also a subpar human. All other anglers shall bow down before the glory of any walleye angler.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Goatee, sparkly boat, Jorts, cellphone belt-clip, Columbia collared shirt (tucked in duh), coon eye sunburn, socks with sandals = walleye fisherman starter kit

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jorts. Again, picking on me. I have saved this pair of acid-washed delight, for 23 years. Just for today.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been fishing small rivers the last few weeks catching smallies the best lure so far is little spoons silver,brass also shad #5 natural colors some on swim baits but by far spoons my two cents.

NodakBizon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd take catching smallies over wallies all day everyday. So damn much fun. Those of us who grew up in western ND are jaded since all we ever fished for was eyes. The opportunity to catch smallies was virtually 0 except for maybe getting one or two a summer on sakakawea. If you've never caught one, the first time you do you will know why I speak of this. And you will know my name is the lord when i lay my vengeance upon thee. LOL, kinda got caught up thinking i was the messiah while typing that which is why i had to drop that line!!!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goatee, sparkly boat, Jorts, cellphone belt-clip, Columbia collared shirt (tucked in duh), coon eye sunburn, socks with sandals = walleye fisherman starter kit

what is required for a bass fishermans started kit? I didn't realize there was this much diversity amongst species? :;:

Thanks for the replies guys I hope catch a few, if anyone sees a couple young ones casting just take cover and bring a first aid kit if your on Audubon the next wknd or 2. also if there jig hits your boat I apologize in advance...especially if its a sparkly one.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is required for a bass fishermans started kit?

Preferably, a bunch of non-sponsor stickers all over the boat and fishing shirt . Next you need some extra stiff extra heavy bait caster set ups with 60 pound braid. Probably need at least another 14 rod and reel combos laying on your deck. Add a few crank baits bigger than most bluegills. girly sandals round out the set up.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is required for a bass fishermans started kit?

Preferably, a bunch of non-sponsor stickers all over the boat and fishing shirt . Next you need some extra stiff extra heavy bait caster set ups with 60 pound braid. Add
a few crank baits bigger than most bluegills. girly sandals round out the set up.

Baitcasters.. Can't do it. Can't use 'em. I couldn't cast straight down off the top of the capitol building...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80