Barrel threading

Gr8tz

Established Member
Black Friday got the best of me and after many years of looking and wanting one, I pulled the trigger on a couple suppressors. Now its time to get some barrels threaded while I patiently wait for every thing to be approved. Who have you guys used in the Bismarck area to thread barrels? I travel to the east side of the state and Devils Lake area from time to time, so having to go for a drive for quality work is no issue.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve used straight shot gunsmithing from center a few times and he did great work also used Ackerman from Dickinson as well and been pleased with him as well

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curtis Schuler Sierra 2 Bismarck
I’ve had nate dagley build me a gun at SSG
And he is great but takes a long time Curtis will charge you around 120$ with end cap and turn it around in 4-5 weeks

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had him thread, chop and cerekote my wife’s 260 as her can came last spring. Nothing but praise shoots great

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you run a can on short barrel you won’t go back I don’t know your guns but I wouldn’t run anything over 22” tops and prefer 18-20 barrels once you do that you won’t go back. Unless you shoot over 1000k yards I wouldn’t even worry abkut the FPS loss of a shorter barrel

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 16.5 inch 308 is sweetness with a can. Just saying. I threaded every one of my barrels and Sierra Two did 1/2 of them and all are good to go. Other 1/2 were already threaded. Guy is a good dude.

Bobkat

Established Member
Curtis Schuler Sierra 2 Bismarck
I’ve had nate dagley build me a gun at SSG
And he is great but takes a long time Curtis will charge you around 120$ with end cap and turn it around in 4-5 weeks
Excellent smith! As Jinny said, his only problem is that he is too good and usually backed up.
He ( Bismarck) andjoelAckerman in Dickinson both have done barrel threading for me and do a great job. Recommend them highly.,

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curtis you ask a question and he will answer it.
Asked him about torque specs on bases and rings and if he thread locks with blue lok tite.
20 mins later I learned wet torque and dry torque are differnt and though many guys ( myself included ) lok tite my bases ( not rings) he said a guy has to be careful cuz the lok tit is wet and the torque will be higher than your driver says haha I spend way to much time when I’m in there
I don’t own a rifle that is not threaded .
Hardest part is I have to write down what can goes to what rifle

Bobkat

Established Member
I sure agree with short barrels and a can. Hauling around a 24-26 inch barrel with a heavy 6-8 inch can is an absolute PITA, in and out of pickups or UTV’ s unless you really need a rifle that shoots an in at 1000 yards. Shooting well with practice and other things like aftermarket triggers, etc. is far more important than a few f p s. Lost with a shorter barre/ supressor rifle.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a guy on main street of Bismarck retired military across from Burger Time in those garages on back side I thought a had seen online.? Does a lot for AR stuff too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve used straight shot gunsmithing from center a few times and he did great work also used Ackerman from Dickinson as well and been pleased with him as well
I believe he quit smoking too, so it is a bit more enjoyable to hang in his shop.

Great gun smith.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe he quit smoking too, so it is a bit more enjoyable to hang in his shop.

Great gun smith.
That's good to hear, not much of a fan of the cigarette smoke. I would get a little jealous though because he was able to do what he wanted and be his own boss while doing work he enjoys.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's good to hear, not much of a fan of the cigarette smoke. I would get a little jealous though because he was able to do what he wanted and be his own boss while doing work he enjoys.
His shooting range is pretty sweet too.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure agree with short barrels and a can. Hauling around a 24-26 inch barrel with a heavy 6-8 inch can is an absolute PITA, in and out of pickups or UTV’ s unless you really need a rifle that shoots an in at 1000 yards. Shooting well with practice and other things like aftermarket triggers, etc. is far more important than a few f p s. Lost with a shorter barre/ supressor rifle.
thats the dam truth. when a guy really runs numbers on ballistic apps there is a LOT of cartridges and ammo combos that will do just fine to 600-800 yards. a guy would be better off with more range time, like you said than worrying about if he should run a berger or hornady or sierra or accubond know what your bullet is constructed of and how it behaves as far a expanding and then learn where to put said bullet in different situations do you go vitals, high shoulder etc

Bobkat

Established Member

Great gun smith.
Joel quit smoking? Wow! Will be much more enjoyable than before. When I first met him I thought “what a nice guy, but wish he’d quit smoking for his own sake! Great gunsmith!

Last edited:

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Spartan Firearms in Minot does barrel threading? If so, any personal experiences?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Spartan Firearms in Minot does barrel threading? If so, any personal experiences?
I don't believe they do. And I don't know of anyone in the minot area that does. There is always the option of shipping to silencer central or taking a few guns and making a trek to bismark to drop them off. If anyone knows of somebody in the minot to devils lake area who does let me know as I have a few more guns to thread

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74