Bites of the Past

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Does anyone remember fantastic bites from the past? Back in the day, Lake Darling had an epic perch bite, and back in the 80's ( I think) it sounds like Buffalo Lodge had a crazy perch bite as well. What hot bites do you remember from the past, even if it is from way back in the day? I get a kick out of hearing these types of stories.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The all summer long shallow crank-bait/swimbait bite on Devils. Started to wane in 2015 as the water really started to go down. Not that there aren't still shallow fish but the numbers aren't what they used to be.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the like 99 to 02 or so the crappie bite on Pipestone and Jamestown dam was really good. Also as a kid I rember when the royal fork opened in Bismarck that was a very nice and good place to eat
Hobart perch not long after the Jamestown Crappie-fest.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember fishing near Graham Island the water was so low you could actually see the gravel road in the mid to late 80s when the lake was super low, we didn't even own ice fishing rods then. We would take spools of cheap fishing line and shove a long screw driver through the spool, 2 bobbers and a small jig. My grandfather brothers pitched in and bought a jiffy ice auger to use newer style not the one armed bandit, you could be drilling holes as close as a few feet and the perch would still be biting and there was no limits on the little green toads back then. Watching early 2000s christmas tree perch bites on the buddies fl8 vexlar in creel Bay by the old boat launch on military point, there would be so many toads back then you could actually watch them come up off the bottoms in 30 feet of water, that was amazing I sure wish I would have had a camera back then to take pictures of the vex when it turned solid red.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Musta been 30 years ago atleast by now. Found a hole in snake creek down at sakakawea that was absolutely loaded. Pitchin jigs and every cast was a nice eye. Over and over, and over. It was just like canada i swear. Never seen anything like it to this day.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
2011 flood - Garrison spillway, 6 different species of fish bitting on anything you threw in the water. Four person limit of 20” eyes in 20 minutes. Fished 4 more hours catch and release, fish on every cast from trout to catfish, only thing we didn’t catch was a ling.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cooperstown dam on the Sheyenne for the spring walleye bite. Now you can't hardly get within a quarter mile to park your truck. Fishermen can't help themselves but to blab about a good bite and end up shafting themselves out of a great bite that seems to last for years. Just look at the great perch bites on small pot hole lakes that have been fished out in 2 years. If the original guy could have kept his mouth shut, it would have provided many years of tasty fillets. Oh well, I guess things have to cycle from boom to bust. Carry On!!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember getting in on the hot perch bite on Lake Darling by Grano in the early 2000s.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasn't there but I heard goose lake by Harvey nd has had an epic bite once or twice in the past. Stir the pot 😋

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils lake back in the late 70s and early 80s Perch were a non game fish , We would go on a 2 day trip and bring back a few hundred perch . What I remember most is how cold and sore my hands would get by the time I got them all cleaned. Back then when we had fish for supper we ate a lot of fish and very few potatoes. The perch got smarter over the years, we were fishing for Northerns and walleyes and the perch were a bonus. The State didn't own Grahams Island then , two old timers had a little bait shop there .

Last edited:

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The late fall of ‘96 at the tailrace. Late October and November until almost Thanksgiving was incredible for numbers and size walleyes. I didn’t keep a lot of fish because so many were too big to keep, but landed conservatively 40 fish from 6-9 lbs. I fished off the rocks from shore and had one particular black and silver rapala that was money. I also was able to fish 14 consecutive evenings from Nov 2-16. So much fun, and almost no people fishing.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up hearing about a certain period in the 80s that was a banger walleye bite on Sakakawea.
It was named the Walleye Capital of the world , I think I still have a belt buckle that says that. late 70s through mid 80s shell village and slides were the best walleye fishing I ever saw.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the limit on OAHE was 14 (10 had to be under 15" or 16") we found a bite that winter that was INSANE. Three of limited in a very short time. As soon as your jig got close to the bottom you had one. It took longer to reel in, unhook, and rebait than it did to catch one. Every one of them was around 14 or 15 inches.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80