Changing lawn mower oil filter ( epic fail)

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
so I was changing my lawn mower oil filter today . anyhow I drain the oil, and come to the oil filter that seemingly was put on by a monster gorilla with great grip strength. I cannot get this fkn thing off. slight frustration turns to down right anger. I was throwing run on sentences of straight F bombs im pretty sure. all the while my wife and 2 kids are playing in the pool. I hear her phone playing a video think nothing of it. she then tells me to pound a screw driver through the filter and turn it for leverage. I was a little skeptical but hey WTF. So I do it. I thought I had it all the way through but nope I go to turn "twist" it and all that happens is I rip the fkr about 1/3of the way. good, good now I do the cardinal sin and start blaming my wife....yep big no no. she remains rather calm but irritated so I try it again and she says I think I saw it move, so round 3 sure enough its coming. couple twists later its off, the new filter is on and the rest is history. I thanked my wife and walked into the house rather sheepishly with my tail between my legs.

wow im a dumbass....good thing I married this womenThumbs Up

have a good wknd fellas !

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best tool for those tough to get filters.

480-340.png

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Vibration from engine make them sob tight as hell. make sure you oiled the gasket before you put new filter back on, better yet use the old Vaseline on gasket. Been in your situation my self, maybe used the same words. My handy dandy el-cheapo oil filter wrench bent to the point of unusable, then came the screw drive trick, tore the filter in half, friend came by about this time, said stop and he would go get his oil wrench. Came back with a GOOD ONE and said here try this. Tried again to no avail. He looked at me shook his head and said " LEFTY LOOSEY RIGHTY TIGHTY DUMB ASS''. Give me a hammer and saw and I can build you anything, give me a wrench and I can screw up every thing honest.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an issue a couple weeks ago.

Had to run to GF and back. Took off no issues, heading home and I hear tick. Shit lifters or valves. Figured oil change first see what happens. Im getting a late start ready, pullin into the auto part store at 845. Get home, changed ect. Hood gets up at 1030. First time changing oil on this yukon. Same engine as my other 2 silverados. Get it up and the pan screw is tighter than shit. Have to get an adapter for more torque, no big deal. Get all the oil drained now filter. Never had one on so tight I needed an actual wrench. After 20 min of cussing and trying other thing, I'm running to walmart (15 min drive) to figure out something. This is 1145 pm. Found something that would work. Get home had to use a cheater bar even with a wrench. Get it replaced, filled up the oil back it off the ramps only to hear it gush. MOTHER F..... look under the truck and I have a 5ft widea by 7ft long oil puddle...... Fk Fk Fk.... Don't want to start it to get it back up the ramp so it's sitting in the drive way. It's 1 or 130 am at this time. I get under tighten, start gush. FK FK FK. repeat same results. I get the wrench and torque the Fk out of it thinking there was a reason. It was so tight... 2 rolls around I've been laying in oil for 45 min cussing. F it have to deal with it in the morning. Shower up bed by 3. Kids get me up at 6 and I head to the shed. I'll be a dumbass. Looked at the old oil filter and it didn't have a gasket on it. It stayed on the block. Never had that before. I destroyed the "new" oil filter the night before. So I'm off to the store for new oil and filter.. well better change the plugs while I'm at it..... FK 2 wires bust..

And that's my life

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Always use oil on the gasket NOT grease. Grease will pretty much glue the filter on and you'll play hell getting it off again.

Hey JD I found just the thing for you, I'll even send an operator with it. :D

Attachments

hand_push_mower.jpg 516a7f78-22ca-4a4c-a5b3-44690f1b2dd6---0-.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
look under the truck and I have a 5ft widea by 7ft long oil puddle...... Looked at the old oil filter and it didn't have a gasket on it. It stayed on the block. Never had that before.

I was "lucky" enough to have that happen one of the 1st times I changed oil on my 1st car @ ~15 or so. Only 4qt of oil and caught it quick while still on the ramps. Got a right-propper chewing for oil on the driveway but it taught me to look for the old gasket before putting on the new filter.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm, I've put grease on at least a hundred oil filters and not had one glue on... worst is a diesel filter with no lube and overtightened, f'n worms...

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did that once on my Mustang. Finished up and took off. Oil light came on about a half Mike from the house. Left a nice oil slick down the road that you could see for years.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I'm not the only one it's happened too. Yep I used oil on the gasket and yep my handy dandy oil filter wrench bent the living shit out of the old filter so I had to get the new one on before using it again. Cut the lawn today No puddles of oil anywhere in the garage so I think I'm safe.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm by no means a handy man but can usually get my way through things. My wife was pretty proud and I didn't need to tell her she was right. She did get Starbucks prior to softball this morning as a " thank you"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm by no means a handy man but can usually get my way through things. My wife was pretty proud and I didn't need to tell her she was right. She did get Starbucks prior to softball this morning as a " thank you"

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope your never in a dead floatin boat or have to build a fire

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I'm not the only one it's happened too. Yep I used oil on the gasket and yep my handy dandy oil filter wrench bent the living shit out of the old filter so I had to get the new one on before using it again. Cut the lawn today No puddles of oil anywhere in the garage so I think I'm safe.

Am I reading this correct? You were planning on using the oil filter again had you not bent it up with the wrench?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the same thing happen when we got our new 95 chevy 6.5 diesel. Bent the oil filter wrench, used a screw driver that just cut the oil filter in half, ended up using a chisel to get it off. Never ever had one that tight. Damn azzholes at the factory must just laugh when they put them on.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

Am I reading this correct? You were planning on using the oil filter again had you not bent it up with the wrench?

ideally no, the original plan was to change everything. but had worse come to worse yeah to get my yard cut once before I go on vacation yeah. I guess I don't see the issue in cutting a yard one time with new oil, same filter, and changing the filter and oil again when I got back.

I can assure you people have done this before new oil, same filter and the world did not end, and the mower worked just fine.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I was wiring in a graph on the boat yesterday. Was looking through the wires. Picking which ones I would tie into. I seen the horn wires were easy access. Figured, sure, I'll tie into those. Get it all wired in, hit the power button, and Nothing. Finally stop to actually think about it. And duh! Those wires are only hot when using the horn. So, I hit the horn. Hold it on. And Bam! The graph turns on. Hahaha well that's not going to work. Back to square one.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wiring in a graph on the boat yesterday. Was looking through the wires. Picking which ones I would tie into. I seen the horn wires were easy access. Figured, sure, I'll tie into those. Get it all wired in, hit the power button, and Nothing. Finally stop to actually think about it. And duh! Those wires are only hot when using the horn. So, I hit the horn. Hold it on. And Bam! The graph turns on. Hahaha well that's not going to work. Back to square one.

Electrical connections near water (boats) have no business being "tied in" to anything! New accessories = new wires, soldered, butt-connected, and heat shrink either over both ends or a long piece over the whole thing. "Tied in" = electrical gremlins, usually in the spring when you're in a hurry to get on the water and don't have time to diagnose and fix. If you're using these, have someone kick you in the balls for every one you've used as a lesson to never do it again:

image.jpg

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Electrical connections near water (boats) have no business being "tied in" to anything! New accessories = new wires, soldered, butt-connected, and heat shrink either over both ends or a long piece over the whole thing. "Tied in" = electrical gremlins, usually in the spring when you're in a hurry to get on the water and don't have time to diagnose and fix. If you're using these, have someone kick you in the balls for every one you've used as a lesson to never do it again:

th-10.jpeg

Rodger that. I used wire nuts, then sealed up. I used to be on the black electrical tape for president band wagon, when I was younger. I am gradually moving up the wiring sophistication chain.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wire nuts = 2 kicks each.

I'll type really slowly:

New wire

Solder

Butt-connector

Heat-shrink

if you don't have available slots on the current fuse panel, run some 6-8ga wire and wire in a new fuse panel. Don't forget a master power switch to the new panel. No gremlins.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69