Chevy 2.7 turbo

bk3

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone bought one of these and had some miles on it yet. Took a new one for a spin yesterday, just not sure if the $5 grand less is worth not having the 5.3, looking for some real experience with them. A 4 cylinder just don’t seem right in a full size pickup, seems to be pretty snappy empty, I don’t pull much.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That 5.3L isn't much of a puller. Empty, it has some pep. I was tired of my 5.3L not picking a gear while pulling the boat. The older 350 pulled much better than the 327 and had some get up and go. I miss the 350.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one in my work truck but only because our fleet manager has been having such a hard time finding what we normally order (Ram) so started buying random truck configurations. It is fairly peppy. I don't pull often and when I do it is smaller trailers around town. A few weeks ago I did pull a skid-steer for about 25 miles and it got the job done. Honestly pulls about as well as my 2013 F150 with a 5.0L. Personally I wouldn't buy one for my personal truck because I do a lot of towing but I would maybe consider one if I wasn't. As far as gas mileage it does decent but to be honest I don't pay much attention to it since I'm not paying for the gas.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gm had to put deactivation in the 2.7 4cy. Why. Consumers report lists the silverado in top 10 reliabilty issues. 2.7 was a way out. Nope they had to add afm

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't like the idea of turbos on short-trip daily drivers. Not as big of deal on a "road-car/truck" to me. The "death-blow" for them is:

1. Not letting the bearings/shafts come up to temp before putting them under high demand.

2. Shutting down the engine while the bearings/shafts are still hot from high demand

I also am suspect regarding how they stay lubricated/cooled if the engine is one of those auto start/stop @ stop lights/signs sort of things.

I can't imagine buying a GM and not going w/the 6.2. The MPG loss vs. capability gain seems like a pretty darned equitable trade-off to me.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The GM engines, L84 5.3 V-8 and the L87 6.2 liter EcoTec3 V-8, seem to have the most problems with defective lifters. These engines use the active fuel management (AFM) and dynamic fuel management (DFM), and at times the lifter will get stuck or lock into place. When a lifter gets stuck or fixed in the wrong position it bends the pushrod resulting in engine failure. Signs that a lifter is failing or defective are the following:

1. Tapping or ticking sound in the engine
  2. Knocking or banging noises in the engine
  3. Misfires, shuddering or low of power
  4. Complete engine shutdown or failure
  5. Check Engine Light

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
The GM engines, L84 5.3 V-8 and the L87 6.2 liter EcoTec3 V-8, seem to have the most problems with defective lifters. These engines use the active fuel management (AFM) and dynamic fuel management (DFM), and at times the lifter will get stuck or lock into place. When a lifter gets stuck or fixed in the wrong position it bends the pushrod resulting in engine failure. Signs that a lifter is failing or defective are the following:

1. Tapping or ticking sound in the engine
  2. Knocking or banging noises in the engine
  3. Misfires, shuddering or low of power
  4. Complete engine shutdown or failure
  5. Check Engine Light
I know a few guys who have put a tuner in and disabled the shifty afm and have been problem free since. Also have been told that the newer ones have solved this problem but I have no experience with them

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
My dad has had a half ton with the 2.7 in it for a while now. I've rode in it quite a bit and it seems to do well. He pulls his 17' boat with it and a few other small trailers and it does just fine. He says it gets good mileage, can't remember the numbers he gave.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67