O Darling/Grano Walleye

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend and I did some shore and bridge fishing North of Minot at the North end of Lake Darling and in the Grano area. We mostly casted jigs with minnows or minnow heads, but also tried some plastics. We had a pretty good day catching numerous 13-15 inch walleye with 2 bonus fish in the 22 inch range. I was thinking it was still early in the fall for that bite to be going and maybe it is, but it was a solid outing today anyway

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Below the dam, Baker's Bridge, Grano etc; dawn/dusk into dark and rain--use a wire leader and DO NOT pull the plug out of the water until the bait is at your toes. Rod tip down and off to one side like you're sweeping a floor (damnit):

1665023341406.png

A quality 4-6in wire leader does not affect the strike ratio. It only preserves the lure from pike during the above conditions (and otherwise). I roll my own. This isn't a finesse technique. In Oct '04 and '06 I had a 4 and 5ish lb walleye beach itself at my feet. You must have the confidence to stick the first SOB then you'll never again throw a candy assed little jig/unicorn eyelash in October.

This works anywhere in the world except the Tailrace. The fish there are imprinted on smelt and the above must me replaced with a Husky Jerk of some variety. The strikes aren't as shallow IME.

That is all.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend and I did some shore and bridge fishing North of Minot at the North end of Lake Darling and in the Grano area. We mostly casted jigs with minnows or minnow heads, but also tried some plastics. We had a pretty good day catching numerous 13-15 inch walleye with 2 bonus fish in the 22 inch range. I was thinking it was still early in the fall for that bite to be going and maybe it is, but it was a solid outing today anyway
Be sure to read post #2^^^^

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pay attention to the water behind the plug when it's about 10ft from shore. If you're getting follows you'll see the white tail tip headed back out. It's very rare for clarity enough to see the fish. If this occurs more often than strikes either downsize and/or apply a hydrodynamic blob of PowerBait Trout paste behind the lip. My prefered color is orange as I've read it's most visible to walleye. I usually do the paste before downsizing the crank. IME it truly makes a difference.

Also, it's important to twitch the bait in place as long and deep as possible when the plug is about 10ft away; the leader is of great help as it slows it's ascent. Remember, keep the tip low and retrieve like you're short stroking a whiskbroom. Let me know how this works for you and feel free to ask questions. This is the one thing I consider myself an expert and can yak about it ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Great info. I have mostly pitched jigs or jigging raps in these spots. I might have to expand my portfolio after reading your tips.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75