Electric Ice Auger Recommendations

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since going to a hub shelter I want to get an electric auger so I'm not gassing up the interior of the shelter when I drill my holes. My gas auger is 20 years old and going strong but it's time. I haven't looked too hard at the electric augers of late. My FIL has a first generation Ion and while it works, I hate it. Ergonomics are terrible and it's nearly as heavy as my gas auger. I know the new versions are improved though. The Strikemaster is about 5# lighter than the equivalent Ion it looks like. I'm leaning towards the 24v/4amp hour setups as I usually won't need that many holes and deal with thinner ice than many of you up north.

My two questions are- first, who has better ergonomics? Holding that first gen Ion is like trying to do inappropriate things to a monkey, it is just awkward and uncomfortable. The switch sucks too, with the safety detent being in a terrible spot. Has this improved? How is the Strikemaster in comparison? Second question is, who has a better blade setup for dirty ice? I fish a lot of windblown, dirt filled ice. My Eskimo with shaver blades does well, but a buddies Strikemaster with the shaver blades dulls up quickly. Not sure why. This is a big consideration.

Thanks for the input!

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same thing this year. I went with the Eskimo Pistol bit and the Milwaukee M18 fuel hammer drill. Very light weight and easy to store/pack in a sled. I drilled 11 holes in 10 inches of ice and still had three of the four battery power lights. So far I am loving it.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
DeWalt drill with a strikeMaster lite flite auger has worked for Very nice for me. Very fast speed and it breaks down for easier storage as well. To clarify, I’m not the guy who drills 100 holes a day either.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just not convinced on the drill setups. What size batteries are you running? I know I can use the drill outside of the season, but the whole setup with drill and good battery is certainly more $$$$ than the Strikemaster 24v.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your skepticism of the drill setups is unwarranted. Biggest DeWalt hammer drill with K-Drill and a 5ah or larger battery is awesome. Another advantage of the drill is you can get the driver for the ice anchors on your hub to drive anchors quickly.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't go wrong with the SM 40v or 24v. I bought the 40v 3 years ago - have cut through 35 inches of ice...20 holes in one day on 1 charge.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 kdrill setups a 6 inch I use for about all fishing out of portables and an 8.5 inch for my wheel house. I mainly use 5 amp batteries but do have an 8 and 12 amp I'll use if I know I'll be drilling alot of holes. I have never done a test on how many holes per battery but I know that both kdrills run laps around the first Gen ion I have. I also run my vexilar off of milwaukee batteries so I only have to bring 1 charger for extended trips.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I went to buy mine, ACME has a package deal for the augers/drills. I went in to order it and Milwaukee was running a promo. I got the drill, two batteries and the charger for $230. Plus an extra drill (drill only) for $1.00. I think the auger bit was also around $200. So I got two drills, two 5 AH batteries, and the auger for $431. I think it was more like $460 with tax and everything. And Slappy has a very good point.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'm on m 4th season with the 40v SM. I was very sceptical giving up the gas auger since I fish lake winnipeg fequently and the ice gets very thick up there. I have been very impressed with it! If you fish a lot of dirty ice you will go through some blades though. I also have a k-drill/dewalt for walking out on early ice.

Side note - does anyone know of a place that sharpens SM blades around Grand Forks?

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either option as electric simplifies the process immensely.

I’d look at overall weight as well when making a decision. The drill option is very light.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I went to a milwaukee/eskimo set up 4 years ago, I think I have used my gas auger maybe 3 times late season. Probably wouldn't of had to, but I have it and figured I should use it once in a while so it still works when I need it.

If I had nothing and was buying new today id probably go 40v Strikemaster.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the input, lots to consider now.

Do any of these bits do better in dirty ice? More chipper style blades?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 103
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66