Getting pumped: Deer opener!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the first time in years, I'm legitimately excited for deer opener. I get to spend it with my dad. It took me until this morning to realize we've never, in fact, actually deer hunted together before. Done plenty of other stuff -- duck, pheasant and grouse hunted, camping, fishing, etc. -- but for whatever reason, never deer.

Friday, I'm dropping the kiddos off at school and heading east river to blue plate country. We're going to hunt his property, which is roughly 5 acres of hardwoods, green lawn, and a home. It's actually my grandparents' home on mom's side. When grandpa passed away and grandma got dementia, my folks bought it. We found out earlier this summer that deer were in there fairly regularly, and after a few more camera photos, dad finally saw enough to convince him that purchasing a rifle tag might not be a bad idea.

I'll be just using stick and string, so not going to have my hopes up of connecting. Still, I'm genuinely excited. We have it all planned out, with him sitting in the "hollow" and me working the westside property line where there's some scrapes/rubs and best chance at a deer in bow range.

I'm keeping my expectations low. And so is he. We're realists. But the weather looks right. The wind ain't bad. And the rut is on. Anything could happen! And with how antsy my relatives are who hunt the farmland around us, they just may shag a deer our direction.

Regardless, I'll have about a 75 yard walk back to the home if I need something, and a warm bed at night. Beer is cold, too!

Anyway, good luck to anyone heading to the Great American deer opener this weekend. A deer will be a bonus. I hope we can make memories that last a lifetime.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck!

Alert me when your hunt hits youtube so I can get right to Karening that puppy.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife has a 3b1 whitetail buck tag and I get surgery tomorrow...Hopefully I'm recovered enough and hopefully my friends come through with they help they offered if we kill this weekend! If not then I'm going to need new friends!

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck!

Alert me when your hunt hits youtube so I can get right to Karening that puppy.

Should I post a video of me field mounting the monster we are going to kill? That would be a good one to analyze!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do look forward to your threads anothermemberwhoisaslayer:;:cheers
Good luck to everyone this weekend

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No videos of the field mount please.

However I feel as though guywhokarens would take care of the issues in short order. Especially if there is a some heavy breathing.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
There would be plenty to analyze...position, motion, temperature of deer, size...of the deer...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a feeling field mounting and heavy breathing would also come across negatively in a mass published video...

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck! I am actually on the other end of the spectrum. This is the first year ever that I haven't been excited. I don't know why, but I am just not feeling it this year.

I also agree that I do not want to see this field mounting video.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The EHD has dampened prospects at my deer camp. But getting out will still feel good.

Gonna focus on the latter/colder half.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling field mounting and heavy breathing would also come across negatively in a mass published video...

some sites have a special section for those

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Field mounting? I’m unfamiliar with that term.

And relieved that I am. :)

c60c7e3b6bd57447eef31130eb30803c.0.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be what happens when you drink to much beer while out hunting. ;:;rofl

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got out my favorite counter stool and foam pad for window sill and checked out my 22-250 to make sure she's on a 200 yd and now I am good to go. Question do I need to wear orange jammies when shooting out my kitchen window and my house is not a double-wide so no wheels.:;:cheers;:;popcorn Good luck this season and stay safe out there to all my friends at NDA. LB

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turned my tag in...pretty discouraging around here, so no excitement to deer hunt this year. effning EHD. Bird hunting it is.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57