GOUT

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you know someone who suffers from it please encourage them to stop taking ibuprofen which might be causing it - not helping it. Switch to tylenol etc. (unless they are heavy boozers - then aspirin)

My experience suggests it was to blame for mine. Not a single twinge/symptom since I quit taking that crap over a year ago or so.

Why do I post this every so often? I just stop and think "geez - had someone suggested that I try this years ago I wouldn't have suffered needless episodes".

I know - everyone's chemistry is different - so it won't work for everyone - but if I can save one person from that BS my carping will have paid off. :)

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my case that would be one pain vs another pain. Hopefully after surgery ibuprofen will be a thing of the past. THANKS for posting.

HuntFish4life

I get gout really bad but have been on preventive meds for awhile now, haven't had a flare up in awhile. Have my Uric acids levels check yearly.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also Cherry juice is of great help to some people.
If you are a boozer, and drink "sugary" types of alcohol, switch your booze, and drink cherry juice concentrate. Helped my big buddy in Bismarck, he would get it so bad he couldn't walk. Now he rarely has an episode.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx Guy,I get joint pain on occassion figure its gout,aleve helps and also green tea,honey and ground cinnamon every morning,damn old age is a bitch!Oh and as stated above I drink cherry/watermelon juice and cranberry juice as well daily.My flare ups seem to occure when I eat shellfish,lobster is the worst,king crab somewhat and snow crab seems okay,read something about shellfish causing gout as well.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried every "cure" imaginable (cherries, cherry juice, yadda, yadda, yadda) - nothing touched it outside of prescription anti-inflammatories that I hated

I could have gone on that long term drug that eliminates uric acid from being produced during protein breakdowns (can't recall name) but got lucky and figured out ibuprofen had thrown me under the bus

- - - Updated - - -

also - I literally get angry now when I see a bottle of ibuprofen - ha ha

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Equate_Ibuprofen_Bottle_and_Pills.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

s623136511797134597_p2_i1_w500.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now you did it John,#guywhogetspissedalot....when this pics pops up!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a co-worker from LA that got it frequently. when he would go back down there on days off and pig out on seafood he would have a major flareup. Seafood was the culprit for him he claimed.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my grandpas had it bad and my dad has got flares here and there. I'm still knocking on wood and working on prevention. Always took ibuprofen, but have been trying aspirin here and there and it seems to work ok. Still got nothing against ibuprofen so far, though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
keep knocking - you do not want gout - such BS

- - - Updated - - -

I believe cheap beer was mentioned before as a possible cause for flareup correct?

any domestics would do it for me - a six pack of bud and I was screwed - I reduced the gout a LOT by switching to imports/micros

I realize now it was probably a combo - ibuprofen and domestics (some protein that is made when beer is brewed in US by major brewers methods?)

I am often tempted to now try my old favorite Budweiser since I'm ibuprofen free but am paralyzed with the thought of it causing a case like it did back in the day - ha ha - no thanks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

Brother gets gout from shell fish and the occasional box of Coors Light.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85