guess on the mo fishing

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats your thoughts on the Missouri river in another month fish size wise? My guess is lots of fish in the 12 to 14 inch range most of the bigger fish will be on the border or at Sak. I also think the East end will be good this year like back in 2013. Thoughts?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you're right about the bigger ones. (If by border, you mean ND/SD)

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iam predicting a good east end bite too this year.. starting out the same as 2013.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hopefully Rowdie they don't end up in SD because ice off was so early water temp could push them into the lake.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't any of you see the G&F tagging study bit, the fish don't move far on the river south of Bismarck, it says they are there all year and we just cant catch them. ::: That statement made me feel like a amateur fisherman because most years after May I cant get a bite until fall just below Bismarck

iceeyes

Glad I wasn't the only to see that video. Our g and f honestly are brainless if they don't think are walleye don't migrate every spring and fall. But hey according to them it's all water temp and when the water temp is 58 to 65 degrees which is known as ideal they say you can't get them up here anymore in those temps, but they are down there. I had never seen something so stupid when they came out with that video. It is sad tho that they are completely missing it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
hopefully Rowdie they don't end up in SD because ice off was so early water temp could push them into the lake.

I don't mind a good bite in Mobridge, nice to fish down there too. There should always be enough in the Yates area in June.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty damn sure that the guys with the gill nets are able to catch fish all day long when those of us using a hook (of any kind) are going home empty-handed.

I have personally seen it myself when I worked for a commercial fishery chasing carp on Sak and Audubon. We'd pull a 500 ft seine as defeated walleye chasers left an area in the hopes that it would be mostly full of carp, only to have a shitty morning of sorting and saving all of the game fish before the carp beat them to death.

And I'd guess most of you have seen it as well while in Cabelas. When I lived in GF, I was always amazed at the number of times I'd go by the aquarium in Cabelas and see walleyes hanging out motionless as small schools of minnows darted in front of them.

Mind you, this obviously doesn't mean walleye can't and don't swim up and down the river, but the notion of there being a large school of walleyes that starts out down in Lake Oahe and migrates northward into areas where there isn't already a lot of walleyes is bunk, pure bunk.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a tagged walleye last year. It was tagged in the Grand river of Oahe 4 weeks before being caught north of Fort Yates. Thats sucker traveled. So I wouldn't say there is no migration. Every year the bite moves south From PKC to Mobridge. Some years you can barley catch a walleye in Mobridge until June, while Pollock and Yates are hot. Year after year this pattern repeated while growing up in Mobridge.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen the migration on lake erie where you can see schools of fish for a mile long migrating each spring but whole different lake.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I wasn't the only to see that video. Our g and f honestly are brainless if they don't think are walleye don't migrate every spring and fall. But hey according to them it's all water temp and when the water temp is 58 to 65 degrees which is known as ideal they say you can't get them up here anymore in those temps, but they are down there. I had never seen something so stupid when they came out with that video. It is sad tho that they are completely missing it.

I think you're brainless.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen the migration on lake erie where you can see schools of fish for a mile long migrating each spring but whole different lake.

Biologists have confirmed via tagging, walleye migrating from Saginaw Bay, down through Lakes Huron and St. Claire into Erie and up the Maumee River to spawn.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished the river for a long time and if you don't think they don't migrate is bunk. over the years caught more then one fish that came from SD in a month. The bait fish and the spawn is what dictate the migration up the river and back down because of the water temp. Now with the 2011 flood washing out deep holes again I would think some of the smelt stick around now because of the water temp in the deep channels and holes. back in the late 80s and early 90s I would follow the big fish from cannonball all the way to dam at that time smelt was the bait fish.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, that damn flood ruined our vegetation in the Ft. Yates area for at least a year. I think the sediment must have really deposited around here since in 2012 the fishing was the worst I've sen here in 20 years.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67