HB 1377 - Party Hunting

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a post on this yesterday. I am not for party hunting if it means a bunch of people buy tags and only one guy goes out and shoots all of them. I am for it if you hunt with your family and you are all out hunting. For example, I hunt with my wife and kids. If i decide I want to let my kid shoot my deer while we are out hunting, I should be able to do that. So yes if all people with tags are out in the field hunting and up the fines for going over limit. No if it means Charlie can go out with 5 tags in his pocket while those people sit at home.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm for it with SMALL GAME and FISHING. Big game NO. Your kid can shoot your pheasants and catch your fish but with BIG GAME...NO!! (As most the main hunter will fill all the tags, usually dad.)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a post on this yesterday. I am not for party hunting if it means a bunch of people buy tags and only one guy goes out and shoots all of them. I am for it if you hunt with your family and you are all out hunting. For example, I hunt with my wife and kids. If i decide I want to let my kid shoot my deer while we are out hunting, I should be able to do that. So yes if all people with tags are out in the field hunting and up the fines for going over limit. No if it means Charlie can go out with 5 tags in his pocket while those people sit at home.

NO. You're basically using your family to get more opportunities - robbing single people from opportunities.

This position on the matter is madness!

So Dad and his three young kids toting 410s that never leave their shoulders can shoot 12 roosters???

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO. You're basically using your family to get more opportunities - robbing single people from opportunities.

So Dad and his three young kids toting 410s that never leave their shoulders can shoot 12 roosters???
I would not be using my family for anything. We are all hunters and we all hunt together the way it is. We wouldn't get anymore, or any less tags. I guess I can see how people would take advantage of it but it wouldn't mean squat for us. The only thing that would change is who shoots what deer, if we would even want to go that route.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would not be using my family for anything. We are all hunters and we all hunt together the way it is. We wouldn't get anymore, or any less tags. I guess I can see how people would take advantage of it but it wouldn't mean squat for us. The only thing that would change is who shoots what deer, if we would even want to go that route.
I get it... but you can do that now with almost zero risk of consequences. If it's legalized you and your crew will get screwed out of opportunity by game hogs. Without a doubt.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's been this way in SD for years and it's no problem, but youngsters have to be 12 to get a license. I would say 3 roosters per license, and youngsters under 12 wouldn't get a license. If you wanted to allow them to hunt fine, but it doesn't increase your limit.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A hard No on this. I've seen it back in the late 90s during a deer drive where the adults would shoot a small buck or doe and make a kid tag it. The disappoint for that kid is big time. I was in my twenties and walked some land with a friend and his Dad. His dad knew I had an extra doe tag in my pocket and asked if he got a shot at a doe if I'd tag it. I flat out said no I'd rather shoot my own.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In the old days my dad always posted as us kids walk and would chase the deer to him. He did the killing, and we did the walking. Why he had 3 boys (tags).
For me, that was the way life was and it was good. The joy for me was still there. I think i was into my 20s before i shot my first deer all by myself. Dad was a killer and i was not.

But also, for me, i never shot or shot at a deer my kids were shooting at. In fact, i had them post so my life was full of walking. They always shot first. Why i had 5 kids, 2 boys and 3 girls and they went hunting with me. I was not a killer.

But it is abuse by some. Guy got 5 gratis tags. His, wife, and 3 daughters. Only he knew which end of the gun the bullets came out of. Shot all five on land not cover by gratis. And then brag about it with pictures at coffee and no one said anything including me. db

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO PARTY HUNTING!! It's not necessary here. In Minnesota where most folks hunt in thick trees or other heavy cover, shot opportunities are more limited and so party hunting makes sense to keep populations in check. Here in ND, you can see and shoot deer from long distances in mostly open country. The other point is that how will the youngsters and other new hunters learn the value and thrill of hunting if someone else does it for them? Seems counter productive to me with respect to recruitment of new folks to the outdoor sports.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't think this is already happening you all have your heads in the sand, or maybe higher. How many on here that are for or against it keep fishing and adding to the live well until the boat limit is met or shoot upland game/waterfowl until the party limit is met ?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF??? ...rofl...

Watch everyone point to this steaming pile of nonsense and use it as an example supporting their argument that legislature shouldn't play a role in herd mismanagement decisions.

[Yes - I wrote mismanagement]
LET'R RIP TATER CHIP. ...rofl...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrible idea. I would be ticked if someone shot my deer.
From a humor perspective I guess I would need new hunting friends. The kind that can't hit the broad side of a barn with a scoop shovel.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't think this is already happening you all have your heads in the sand, or maybe higher. How many on here that are for or against it keep fishing and adding to the live well until the boat limit is met or shoot upland game/waterfowl until the party limit is met ?
Obviously it happens a lot with birds and fish. Not a fan of it for big game, but obviously it happens a lot with deer as well.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
why is it ok with birds and fish but not big game ?
It isn't ok with big game because if party hunting big game is legalized, many hunters with Non-Hunting family members will start applying for tags for them, making it harder and harder for actual hunters to draw tags...
as pertains to small game and fishing, I personally am not necessarily opposed to party hunting/fishing. Do I think I should be able to go out and shoot a limit of roosters for my wife if she doesn't feel like coming with? no....
BUT, if I'm out hunting roosters with a buddy and one of us is limited and the other isn't I have no problem with letting my buddy shoot a bird to fill my limit.... In this instance and that of fishing, I'm ok with it because it applies to over the counter tag oppertunities.... everyone that wants to hunt small game or fish is able to do so without the need for a lottery drawing...

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see a party needing one doe and doing a deer drive . During the drive 2 does are shot now they are over limit . Are they going to call a warden and tell them what they did ? Or are they going to leave one lay and say oh well .
Party hunting for big game should not be allowed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80