How is ice fishing going?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
How is the ice season going for everyone? I have been out a handful of times, and pleasantly surprised with the results on each outing. Some of the lakes are tracks only, now, but the fishing has still been good. I haven't been on Sakakawea, yet, so that is a current goal, and looking forward to getting back up to Lake Winnipeg.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't went yet. Was to busy working, then so cold and stormy kept me busy plowing snow. On top of that Ranger is broke down waiting on repairs and need to put tracks on once fixed. Roads are so crappy can't hardly leave the yard let alone try and make it to a lake. But hopefully if the weather keeps cooperating things will improve and then it'll be game on and hopefully I'll fish every afternoon. At least I've got good intentions of that.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made it out once on metagoshi before the snow. Pulled a 2 man limit of decent sized gills in about an hour

Bought a wheel house in August with grand plans to spend a few weekends on the ice but I'm now guessing those plans are shot to hell.

Might venture towards devils lake this weekend and pay for access at woodlands if all else fails

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some good days some not so good. Yesterday was a swing and a miss on sakakawea. Setup too shallow. Went out of centennial.

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on the location. Fished around home on the weekends, and that has not produced. Fished at Sak during the week and over Christmas break đź‘Ť. West end of Sakakawea is always hot through Christmas

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been out a few times. Audubon is as usual, bite is sunrise and sunset with an occasional fish in the middle of the night. Geneva has been slow. Need some warm weather to settle the snow.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you drive out from Centennial? How thick is the ice?
Access is clear at the ramp then it kinda splits into some trails. I was about half a mile out and there was 17 to 18 inches o ice. We had 2 trucks and I think we probably could have went anywhere we wanted to. It was my first trip out there this year so didn't get too adventerous. Usually try to get out to the mouth of steinke heading around the corner to go to stevenson. Only a few permanents out in the bay area.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Access is clear at the ramp then it kinda splits into some trails. I was about half a mile out and there was 17 to 18 inches o ice. We had 2 trucks and I think we probably could have went anywhere we wanted to. It was my first trip out there this year so didn't get too adventerous. Usually try to get out to the mouth of steinke heading around the corner to go to stevenson. Only a few permanents out in the bay area.
Smart thinking. Glad you had a safe trip.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lot of the lakes are a total mess. Slush pockets all over the place I assume from cracks in the ice and too much weight on the ice. My Atv is in the garage thawing the tracks out for the third time already. Had to chop ice 45 mins from boogy wheels to even get it to move out on the lake Saturday.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Before the snow, caught a few walleye on southern audubon. Then fished the plowed access on Totten Trail for two days. Only caught two small walleye. Then fished various parts of Sakakawea and only caught a pike and one walleye.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine has sucked. I’ve been put 5 times, 5 different lakes, skunked 3 times. Only 1 keeper fish of any species.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been to a few different lakes all with slow bites but put some on the ice at every one. I've been to Foot Lake twice, Ruele once, and Williams once. Foot Lake was good since I hit it before all the snow. Ruele was a mess and ended up with about 2 inches of water and slush above the hole, and Williams was good as far as ice and snow, but the fishing was slow. I plan on hitting Crimmins, Green, Rice, and maybe one of the small lakes around the Wishek/Ashley area. I am also planning on dong the Alkaline tournament and doing an overnight in the hub somewhere. I have yet to be able to drive on any lake I've been to.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been out once this season and it's not looking good. Probably be one of my worst ice seasons ever. Just too much snow and poor access along with other things to do and lack of ambition.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am the king of small fish this winter. New Johns twice, small perch and walleyes but did get a 25” walleye the one trip. Sweetbriar twice, small walleyes. Geneva once, small perch. Struck out completely at Rice Lake. Early ice I did have a fun and successful pike trip with my dad tho.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've struggled for any numbers of decent fish this year. I did get my biggest ever eye through the ice though on a random lake, 28" 9.10lb slough donkey. No luck on big perch.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen a majority of high marks on a few different water bodies. I'm sure we'll hear about winter kill concerns next month.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am the king of small fish this winter. New Johns twice, small perch and walleyes but did get a 25” walleye the one trip. Sweetbriar twice, small walleyes. Geneva once, small perch. Struck out completely at Rice Lake. Early ice I did have a fun and successful pike trip with my dad tho.
The fact that you caught anything at all at sweetbriar is brag-worthy in my book. I’ve always had tough luck there.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
This season is a pure nightmare for conditions. It’s a sad state of affairs for access and potential winter kill. And I’m trying to be positive:)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77