John Arman The Armchair Biologist

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Don't know who this John Arman is, but he's not wrong... One of our very own members on this site is part of a a group that makes hunting possible for many people with physical limitations and he has already spoken out about how the baiting ban is bad and is going to make it much harder for them to help the folks with those limitations successfully harvest an animal.

I don't think he was intending to say that the bait ban is bad for veterans in general.... I think what he was getting at is that it is making it harder for veterans with physical limitations due to injuries from service, and others with physical limitations to be successful in their hunts.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure, blame the veterans John. You just want to bait for your outdoor program.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2022/11/03/deer-gun-season-raises-questions-about-chronic-wasting-disease/
I spoke to John on the phone a couple of nights ago about this exact thing and you're interpretation of his intention is just not correct. Saying that he just wants baiting for his show is just a cop out insult. The guy has the land and resources to plant food plots and attract dear in an "acceptable way", like most of us, he is concerned about how bans will effect, young, old and/or disabled hunters. Just because he has a platform and a business related to hunting, doesn't mean that he can't focus on a topic that helps other people.

We share 2 main views on the topic. #1) Baiting bans take away a crucial tool for making hunting accessible to people with physical limitations. #2) The game and fish has yet to show a single piece of quantifiable data that bans decrease spread or that baiting increases it. If it's a case of "armchair biology" vs "real biologists" the argument should be easily squashed with data and science, but when you question the current reasoning for banning bait the answer is "we have to say we did something." That just isn't an acceptable answer for an issue that has widespread consequences to the hunting community.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really don't care if they instill a bait ban or not, but the reason why they say they placing bait bans is what I have a problem with. There is zero evidence to back their claim. There will always be crop fields. There will always be spilled grain. There will always be water holes. There will always be many more "natural" occurring things that congregate deer more than a 50# bag of corn thrown down. I don't bait and I don't care if you do bait. The reason for the bait ban is absurd and not backed by anything scientific.

Mr. Pike

Doesn't matter if you agree with baiting or not. Right now it's against the law if you do. John Arman has baited deer on his TV program before and I'm pretty sure that he still does. We all have to play by the rules.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't matter if you agree with baiting or not. Right now it's against the law if you do. John Arman has baited deer on his TV program before and I'm pretty sure that he still does. We all have to play by the rules.
If he was baiting before the ban then that’s no issues. And do you have any proof whatsoever that he is currently baiting where he isn’t supposed to? Because of not, it’s pretty shitty to run someone’s name through the mud based on some unfounded assumption.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a very simple concept. Ask the Game and Fish to show the science? Prepare oneself to get trotted around the block.

They claim they have the authority to ban (make illegal a form of take) baiting.

Simple concept: a Bill to allow baiting. If Game and Fish cannot be transparent with their science today, then they can testify to their science at the legislature.

Deer opener in 30 minutes. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
was on camera last night and hope he is on for the next two weeks for my bow in December. db

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure, blame the veterans John. You just want to bait for your outdoor program.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2022/11/03/deer-gun-season-raises-questions-about-chronic-wasting-disease/

Think you might have missed the interpretation on what he was saying. Say what you want about John Arman, but he's pretty spot on with what he is saying. He is also a hell of an advocate for the sport for the youth generation and the public in general.

I could care less on the baiting law. A 2 bushel pile of corn is no different that hunting over a 15ac corn field food plot. Or any "standing" crop at that. ND G & F are living with their heads in the clouds if you think that by banning baiting that you're going to solve the "CWD" problem. Drive by a freshly combined corn field next week when it's 5 degree's out, there's going to be more that a couple deer in it.

Mr. Pike

The Game and Fish doesn't enforce the baiting ban in the some of those units anyway. After I saw his episode of Ultimate Outdoor Adventures where he was putting out the "Big and J", I called the game warden in Elgin to report him. She said they usually don't do anything because then they would have to prosecute every little old lady who fed deer apples. I also reported another guy who had several deer feeders in Unit 3E1 and never heard anything about that either. What good is a law if you're not going to enforce it?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Turn them in?

Deer feeders are not illegal. Same with bird feeders. Read the game and fish proclamation. Nothing to enforce here. Only if you use to aid in the hunt.

Buck was on camera last night, so he made it through the first night with just a few to go until i bow hunt in December. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kent win:

A bigger one as i only have one license.

But got old and really not into killing anymore unless it might net 170 which after hunting since 59 i have not found. They are rare. Have one close that i let go for 3 years before harvest as others found out about him and just a touch under 170 net by official score. Had one odd horn and told to hammer off but could not do that. My luck the whole horn would of came off.

Found this one's sheds by stand last year and it would have score around 160. Grown but not to a net of 170 and i feel this deer will never get there. But still a great deer to watch and wonder.

Then they, for the most part, do not come up in day light until after the rut. db

Last edited:

Mr. Pike

Turn them in?

Deer feeders are not illegal. Same with bird feeders. Read the game and fish proclamation. Nothing to enforce here. Only if you use to aid in the hunt.

Buck was on camera last night, so he made it through the first night with just a few to go until i bow hunt in December. db
It is if there's a hunting blind right next to it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, if one is hunting out of the blind. Otherwise, no. Just because there is blind or stand there does not mean one is hunting out of it. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hunting with the aid of bait.

Rancher friend has a large cattle herd and has concrete, open bunkers for storing his feed grain for the herd in his yard. Deer now and then comes and eat out of those bunkers. Has shot a deer or two in his yard. Does he have a problem with this ruling?

Another friend has a neighbor who has a bait pile on his side of the fence on his land. Friend has a few trails going from his land to his neighbor's bait pile. Has sat up two stands on these trails on his side of the fence. Does he have a problem with game and fish?

Asked game warden if i take feeder out can i hunt the next day? Answer was yes.

Plant corn on plot and lately use brush mower to chop up corn stalks and cobs. Kernels on ground for deer to eat. Is there a concern with this?

Not sure how game and fish will work with this poorly written reg.

It appears ethics plays a bigger part of this than CWD. db

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Game and Fish doesn't enforce the baiting ban in the some of those units anyway. After I saw his episode of Ultimate Outdoor Adventures where he was putting out the "Big and J", I called the game warden in Elgin to report him. She said they usually don't do anything because then they would have to prosecute every little old lady who fed deer apples. I also reported another guy who had several deer feeders in Unit 3E1 and never heard anything about that either. What good is a law if you're not going to enforce it?

They know it’s dumb nice to see some common sense used. Maybe quit watching tv and hunt more.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hard to imagine this many nice, big boobs out there as show up on coffee.

I have no idea if baiting is all bad or if good comes from it also. And game and fish does not know either. But common sense tells me there must be some nice big, boobs out there and more people need to understand common sense about baiting which does not come from a book. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do have a number of plots with planted food and or bait. Two stands came under this baiting rule this year. I am not about to give up putting feed out to see my old deer friends from prior years or move these stands as they are anchor to the ground.
There is more to this than killing. I will not hunt out of these stands. Need to check my blood pressure now, db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80