Last weekend strategies

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm heading out one more time Saturday to try and fill my doe rifle tag. It's a 3 hour drive to my hunting spot in 2H. I was contemplating leaving around 3 to get there well before sunrise, but with the forecasted cold will the deer likely even be moving at first light, or do you think it would be safe to get there a little later and wait for the temps to climb?

The last time I hunted subzero for deer, it was archery and in the afternoon. The deer moved around 2-3 pm. But I'd like to hopefully get a doe down ASAP and then possibly spend the rest of the day with my bow in hand somewhere in the woods and out of the wind.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a pretty obvious decision… you will never kill anything that you arent in front of to kill….

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are times where the crappier weather, the better the hunt. Usually that's at the end of series of crappy weather days, not the first day or two of it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the first break of day is key, or the end of the day.
Iffn you have some land to walk, it changes it too.

The boy also has a doe tag, we will head out around 5:45 am, as I am 30 minutes from our area.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are times where the crappier weather, the better the hunt. Usually that's at the end of series of crappy weather days, not the first day or two of it.
That's been ALL the time for my lifetime. Always do good when the weather is crap. COLD, now that's a different story.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I'll never understand the thinking when people ask the "Do you think its worth it?" kind of questions in regards to hunting or fishing.
They must have more free time to get outdoors than I do.
If have the time to go, possible conditions/circumstance be damned, I'm going to be out there.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll never understand the thinking when people ask the "Do you think its worth it?" kind of questions in regards to hunting or fishing.
They must have more free time to get outdoors than I do.
If have the time to go, possible conditions/circumstance be damned, I'm going to be out there.
Huh...I'm not sure how a comment asking when deer may move on a subzero day would infer I wouldn't go. Merely if it makes sense to get out there an hour before light and potentially freeze my keister off, or if it would be better to hem my chances closer to sunup "given the conditions."

I don't propose to be an expert deer killer. I've been out on double-digits-below zero days only once, and it was in the afternoon. Thus my question.

Good luck hunting. Hopefully you can find the time.

Mapman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything goes during the rut. But 95% of the time if you miss the first hour and last hour of daylight you might as well stay home. This morning deer were still moving around at 10am. Yesterday they were all tucked in by 745. I wouldn't want to miss that first hour of daylight especially if you only have two days left to hunt

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything goes during the rut. But 95% of the time if you miss the first hour and last hour of daylight you might as well stay home. This morning deer were still moving around at 10am. Yesterday they were all tucked in by 745. I wouldn't want to miss that first hour of daylight especially if you only have two days left to hunt
That helps a lot. Thanks!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good friend left this AM for the Badlands. After the 7 year wait he hopes to be back before Monday.

Got pictures of a couple of real nice Whitetail bucks from another friend up in the Svold area.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out yesterday morning and shot my deer before 8am. Activity in my area started right from first light. Drove around after I packed mine out and didn't see much after 10 or so. Temps yesterday were single digits with light winds.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I was you I would make that 3 hour trip worth it and sit somewhere with either just your bow and can shoot either or have both weapons with. I would choose to use both weapons and sit waiting for the sun to come up. Even for an hour to an hour and a half.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the other hand, if you're not there at sunup you have no chance of seeing anything.
Road Hunting 101

Roadster
Roader

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85