Let your vehicle warm up not so fast you are damaging your engine!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ve...heck/536-8bf406d7-194c-4ca0-a06d-d1d56006e5d9
I know this has been discussed before but couldn't find any specific thread on this topic of letting your vehicle warm up. The article brings up the tradition of people who live in the cold should not be letting their vehicles warm up for no more then a minute. Letting the vehicle warm up to get the interior up to a comfortable temperature is hard on the engine, My question is what's the real world difference in engine wear between two identical engines if one is allowed to warm up and one that is not. Opinions

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been doing it my whole life never a problem even my company vehicle does not get shut off in this weather and gas too not diesel

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had a problem either, and I've left my company vehicle running all day in this kind of weather.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
only problem with idling day is the engine doesn't get up to operating temp and builds moisture in extreme cold. Only a fool wouldn't let his vehicle warm up when cold out. might not kill the engine but think about the trans and steering now that everything is high psi rack and pinion.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree guys and very happy to here I'm not the only one who still believes that warming up ones vehicle isnt all that bad. My 2013 ford f150 has auto start which is the very first vehicle I have owned that has auto start and I love it. I do believe that plugging your vehicle in with a soft plug heater is also important to living in cold temps.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cold is hard on machines....PERIOD. No question about that. The question is....how hard to you want the cold to be on YOU. I myself want to avoid as much cold as possible. I warm my cars up before getting in. Besides, how does one quantify wear from cold vs normal wear? What qualifies as cold? 32........15.......0........????? When does cold wear begin and end? Does cold wear begin when you start the engine and end when the engine reaches 32 degrees or is it at 210 degrees when the thermostat kicks in? Do you measure the belts? or hoses? or engine seals and cylinders? Oh so many questions. I'm making a drink now. That will definitely help with this conundrum. Carry On!!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The article said that after the initial start up that the oil will eventually drain back into the pan, anymore then a minute of idol the engine begins to lose the coating of oil on the engine parts. But I would have to disagree with this statement because of a little know fact that during the obozo administration cash for clunkers there was over 600000 vehicles that were taken out of the market. To destroy these vehicles engines the dealerships would literally drain all the oil in the pans in run them tell the engines would seize up. I heard mechanics say that some of those engines would run for hours with no oil in them before they would eventually quit running. So I'm thinking that this article is just another way for climate change activists to save the planet from emissions.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Ford app that lets me start my truck from anywhere on the planet has been a game changer. Something else will kill that truck before me warming it up will.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That must be sync 4 that has the ford auto start app. Do you have to have wireless internet access to start your pickup from trump tower in New York if your pickup is in your driveway at home.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I did a little more research on the cash for clunkers procedure on destroying traded in engines. They used a solution sodium silicate solution that when you heat the engine up that the solution turns into a solid. So anyways I think we are still ok to let our vehicles idol for as long as it takes for our cars to warm up.

A videos of a perfectly good vehicle destroyed for no other reason but to stimulate the economy in the sum of 3.8 billion dollars.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
That must be sync 4 that has the ford auto start app. Do you have to have wireless internet access to start your pickup from trump tower in New York if your pickup is in your driveway at home.
It’s the FordPass app, no WiFi needed as long as you have LTE internet on your phone.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything is turbo now --- including gm going foward. They need to be warmed up to drive and cooled down before shutting off.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Article was probably written by some California asshat that’s never seen a day under 40 degrees in their life.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vehicle shuts off 10 minutes after starting, annoying to me, probably good for temps from 20 to 40, but below that I would rather it warm up longer. But I do take into consideration how long my planned trip is, 10 minutes to a parking lot is different than 2 hours to some place. Getting the engine warm enough to get rid of condensation is a consideration.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vehicle shuts off 10 minutes after starting, annoying to me, probably good for temps from 20 to 40, but below that I would rather it warm up longer. But I do take into consideration how long my planned trip is, 10 minutes to a parking lot is different than 2 hours to some place. Getting the engine warm enough to get rid of condensation is a consideration.
Depending on brand, there are some ways around these problems. Some you can put into neutral and set the park brake and they will stay running. Others you have to leave the key FOB inside the vehicle while doing the above. In this case, carry a second FOB so you can still lock the vehicle.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are ways to by pass the auto start stop function, bms is compromised when this is done or you can buy a harness that lets you keep all your bms functions and still be able to disable the stop function for auto start. I bought an obdlink mx+ for vehicles that me and my family own foreign and domestic models that use a obd2 plug in to access the computer settings, it connects via Bluetooth. I haven't got a chance to mess with it but I bought it to get rid of the annoying idiot tone when you need to fasten your seat belt.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The article said that after the initial start up that the oil will eventually drain back into the pan, anymore then a minute of idol the engine begins to lose the coating of oil on the engine parts. But I would have to disagree with this statement because of a little know fact that during the obozo administration cash for clunkers there was over 600000 vehicles that were taken out of the market. To destroy these vehicles engines the dealerships would literally drain all the oil in the pans in run them tell the engines would seize up. I heard mechanics say that some of those engines would run for hours with no oil in them before they would eventually quit running. So I'm thinking that this article is just another way for climate change activists to save the planet from emissions.
1671942079756.png

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always research the authors of this online garbage... just so you can consider the source. The author is a "news researcher". He's an "influencer", one of these online activists who actually get the weak minded to believe their BS. Probably paid by Soros. I'm sure he wants you to burn less gas and save the environment. Doesn't give two shits about your car.

The fact that he has 67 followers on Twitter and has kitty daddy in his twitter profile tells you all you need to know. https://twitter.com/MauChamberlin

Oh...and here is the co-author https://twitter.com/ErinChecksFacts

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69