Lithium battery

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i buy one of these overpriced batteries sit it on the ice will it last all day like my regular one does now? And if so how long does it last in a portable sitting on the ice

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What are you powering? Don't forget you need to get lithium charger too, can't just swap lead acid for lithium in a flasher.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends what you buy. There are numerous different hours you can purchase. I ran a helix 9 off a 12ah amped outdoors lithium and it never failed during a day or 2 of fishing without charging again. would def buy again.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worth every penny.
Nobody is answering my question. Can i sit by my flasher in a genz box ran by a lithium battery outside on the ice (use yesterday as a guage for temp) for what period of time?

Upnorth

Nobody is answering my question. Can i sit by my flasher in a genz box ran by a lithium battery outside on the ice (use yesterday as a guage for temp) for what period of time?
As long as the battery lasts. I distribute amped batteries in canada, have used them all day outside in -20 and colder temps.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's why I asked what you're powering. A simple flasher draws much less than a large display or camera equipment. Even at reduced capacity from cold, the lithium likely has plenty for a low draw device but may struggle with something that needs more juice. A very cold battery will still turn my drill but not nearly as long as a warm battery.

It doesn't matter if it's in a car, cell phone or drill; lithium batteries have reduced power when cold. That's why the cell phone stays in the inside chest pocket, the drill batteries are in a cooler on the ice, and nobody is pulling their ice castle with a Ford Lightning.

Lithium batteries also charge more effectively at moderate temperatures so they may need to be allowed to warm after a day on the ice to get a good charge.

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends what size of battery you want to use, but I'm not into doing research for others. What I can say in reference to using an Amped Outdoors 18ah battery on my livescope is...
- Much, much lighter
- Mine sits on my shuttle directly on the ice, like your Genz box and powers my livescope for a full day
- WORTH EVERY PENNY

Upnorth

That's why I asked what you're powering. A simple flasher draws much less than a large display or camera equipment. Even at reduced capacity from cold, the lithium likely has plenty for a low draw device but may struggle with something that needs more juice. A very cold battery will still turn my drill but not nearly as long as a warm battery.

It doesn't matter if it's in a car, cell phone or drill; lithium batteries have reduced power when cold. That's why the cell phone stays in the inside chest pocket, the drill batteries are in a cooler on the ice, and nobody is pulling their ice castle with a Ford Lightning.

Lithium batteries also charge more effectively at moderate temperatures so they may need to be allowed to warm after a day on the ice to get a good charge.
Don’t confuse the batteries you listed which are lithium/ion and suck in the cold, with lithium/iron/phosphate ( lifepo4) batteries like Amped or Dakota.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don’t confuse the batteries you listed which are lithium/ion and suck in the cold, with lithium/iron/phosphate ( lifepo4) batteries like Amped or Dakota.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize the lifepo4 batteries were that much better in the cold. Point stands about charging when cold.

From Dakota Lithium's excellent website:

"Charging lithium iron phosphate batteries below 32°F not only makes your batteries unsafe, but it also will drastically and permanently reduce the capacity."

Upnorth

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize the lifepo4 batteries were that much better in the cold. Point stands about charging when cold.

From Dakota Lithium's excellent website:

"Charging lithium iron phosphate batteries below 32°F not only makes your batteries unsafe, but it also will drastically and permanently reduce the capacity."
Correct. They all have a battery management system ( bms) in them that will not let it charge if cold. Bring it up to room temp.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any reason to replace the tried and true that came with my flasher? I get a couple days out of the stock one now.

Upnorth

Any reason to replace the tried and true that came with my flasher? I get a couple days out of the stock one now.
For a simple flasher, no. Not unless you want five days of runtime. I have a 7.5 ah in my flx-28 and get 4 days use out of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75