little ducks

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wifes cats brought a little duck in the yard. we rescued him and he seems ok. made it through the night anyway. Havent seen any ducks around so we took it to the waste pond and turned it loose. There were other baby ducks about his size there, so we were hoping hed get in line with the others. We think it was a wood duck but not sure at that age. day or two. Later that day they had another one.we rescued too. Will ducks adopt other little ones if they mix in with their own? Is there something better we should do? Wife wont let me shoot the cats.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many ducks nesting right now it is amazing. The cat bringing in a wood duck would suck.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the kids to the park this weekend and saw two hens each with a brood of 8 ducks. Sure hope the rest of the pairs out there were as successful.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aside from a weasel is there anything worse at just killing stuff for fun; than a cat? Prairie dog shooters, etc... excluded!

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to Google they will not adopt other ducklings and may harm or kill them. As for prairie lions, they need to be shot on site for reasons mentioned above.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just from what I've seen over the years, I believe they do take care of ducklings other than their own.
Maybe they can't even tell them apart from their own?

If you watch them it happens all the time.

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought they took care of others as well. I don't know how theyed keep them apart sometimes. I once saw a duck with 21 little one following it. I cant believe they were all hers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75