Looking for mid-size pickup

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like the GMC Canyon, also drove a Honda Ridgeline, which surprised me how nice it was. Or the 2023 Ford Ranger, or wait for the 2023 GMC Canyons. Any thoughts? Any advice would be helpfu.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on what you will use the truck for aside from just driving. I have a 2021 F150 with the 5.0, wife has a 2019 Honda Ridgeline. The Honda rides like a cushy SUV on the highway because of the independent suspension, can pull 5K pounds, but doesn't do well off road or handling heavy snow. But if you just need to have a comfortable ride with a smallish truck bed, recommend the Ridgeline. Good gas mileage as well...22-26 mpg.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was thinking of trading my F150. Would be my hunting vehicle, pl the boat, ice fishing and my daily commuter. Was kind of thinking it may not be what I want.
Thanks for your help!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
for the tasks you listed I would stick with a 1/2 ton. My previous job had me flying all over the country and renting trucks to haul my gear way out in the sticks. renting a full size truck on short notice was often not an option so I frequently had to go with a midsize. I had the colorado, ranger and tacoma on multiple occasions. For off road capabilities the tacoma was the winner hands down. One particular project deep in the woods of Maine I couldn't believe the abuse that little truck took and what it could go through. I felt like I was making a Toyota commercial! If I was in the market for a midsize (which I'm not) it would no doubt be the tacoma.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you find one check out a Tacoma. Rated for 6700 towing and great resale value and reputation

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy who has used his Toyota Tacoma to pull an identical boat to mine (17.5 ft Lund Fisherman) back and forth from ND to AZ a few times. He didn't complain about it, but I'd much rather be in a half-ton or better for that haul through the mountains. I have a Toyota 4Runner, and while it will pull my boat just fine, I don't really enjoy the drive when compared to using my F250. Also know another guy who pulls a 17 ft Bayliner with his Ridgeline. He also doesn't complain about it, but I've never ridden with on one of his outings. Then again, my former father in law used to pull a 16 ft Smokercraft with an Accord. Bottomline is they will all do what you ask, it's just how comfy you will be doing it depends on your expectations. Of all the choices you've listed the Ridgeline is the most car/SUV like and will ride accordingly, but will struggle the most if you truly need a pickup. The Colorado is probably a little better suited than the Honda, but that Toyota is genuinely a step up from the other two even though it will be the least comfy to use as a daily driver.

Let's put it this way, back in 2015 I bought my 4Runner and went with it because I thought I'd use it more for hunting and fishing with the price of diesel fuel having gone up so much compared to gas. While I did use the Toy for dunking the boat a few times early on, over the past 5 or 6 years, every time I head to the water I reach for the Ford keys and have relegated the Runner to a daily commuter, for which it's a little bit of overkill.

Truth be told, from what you've written...I'd stay with a half-ton.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
You never know when a situation may come up where you need to pull something heavy. Anything less than a 6.5' box isn't good for much. Those are the first things that come to my mind, I'd recommend sticking to a 1/2 or 3/4.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the 2023 Colorado/canyon will be 4 cylinder only. Different power options but all 4 cyl. 2022 is supposed to be the last year offering 6 cyl. engines.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen's response above reminded me I did have a 2011 Tacoma for 3 years. It did well in the snow and off-road situations, but the ride was very loud/stiff...not a "comfy" truck to drive as daily commuter. Decided to step up to the half ton in 2014 when I bought the first boat, so cannot speak to it's towing characteristics. Held it's value very well I must say.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dont expect a soft comfortable ride it aint going to happen. Stick with the 1/2 ton you will not be sorry. LB

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Honda Pilot with the same engine as the Ridgeline. Can’t imagine pulling my 19’ Lund with it. Just some real feedback. Love Tacomas but not sure I could do it all with one.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about the new Nissan Frontier? Good reliable trucks with better options for your $$$$.

I would not drive a GM unless it was given to me

Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma , Nissan Frontier would be my choices. Tacoma would win if all were same price

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
I test drove a Tacoma and really like the truck, but the drivers seat seemed short and cut into the back of my legs. Uncomfortable on a short drive, don't know if I would what to go on a long trip.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
for the tasks you listed I would stick with a 1/2 ton. My previous job had me flying all over the country and renting trucks to haul my gear way out in the sticks. renting a full size truck on short notice was often not an option so I frequently had to go with a midsize. I had the colorado, ranger and tacoma on multiple occasions. For off road capabilities the tacoma was the winner hands down. One particular project deep in the woods of Maine I couldn't believe the abuse that little truck took and what it could go through. I felt like I was making a Toyota commercial! If I was in the market for a midsize (which I'm not) it would no doubt be the tacoma.
My wife has a 4Runner, which is essentially the SUV Tacoma. Great vehicle. A million miles on it, runs great, gets through quite a bit of snow, and is still worth about what we paid for it, 12 years ago.

If I were to get rid of my 1/2 ton Chevy, that Toyota would be my vehicle, and we'd buy her a newer one.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I test drove a Tacoma and really like the truck, but the drivers seat seemed short and cut into the back of my legs. Uncomfortable on a short drive, don't know if I would what to go on a long trip.
X2

I have a 2018. It is not the most comfortable seating. I wish they would take the seating from the Honda Ridgeline and steal the design and put it into a Tacoma.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Tacoma has the leather and power seats. Took a little bit of trial and error to get it where I want it but very comfortable!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't found any of the above to be very comfortable for any extended period of time. May save 3-4 miles/gal but not a very good trade off in my opinion if it was going to be the main unit.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like the GMC Canyon, also drove a Honda Ridgeline, which surprised me how nice it was. Or the 2023 Ford Ranger, or wait for the 2023 GMC Canyons. Any thoughts? Any advice would be helpfu.
i might buy one gmc - jacked up 7000 tow i dont know why but i need something to bitch about. specially when the afm starts sucking oil.

22 keyed --- 23 finally a push button. reason: Give me more room in my garage and parking spots. Plus price

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75