Losing my best friend.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys, I'm struggling. I'm a tough guy. I've lost people. I've been through hard times personally. But right now, I am falling apart.

The past two weeks we've noticed that our 8 year old female lab was drinking way more than usual. She had also developed a skin infection on her leg that just wouldn't go away. We weren't sure what was going on, so we made a vet appointment. Long story short, she has diabetes. The vet said her insulin would be about $75/week. I didn't care. It's a lot of money, but I love that dog.

We brought up while we were there that her last heat was "silent". It drove my male dog crazy still, but no signs of heat. It turns out that she has some sort of cyst in her uterus that would mean she needed to be spayed.

This is where the problem is. The diabetes would take time to get better "managed" and most likely the wounds from the surgery wouldn't heal. The only real option we have is to let her live until she starts to get bad and then let her go.

I'm crushed. She is my best friend. All of those tough times I talked about in the beginning, she was there with me through it. I've went through some pretty heavy depression issues a few years ago, she knew and wouldn't leave me alone. She has cuddled up and protected all three of my sons when they were born. She has been the best friend my kids could every as for.

The vet said we will really start seeing changes in 3-6 months. She said most likely she will have went blind in that time frame. This is what's killing me. She "seems" fine. When we decide to end it, she will seem fine. I feel like I'm killing my best friend.

I don't care how soft it makes me look, but I have cried more times in the last two days that I can ever remember. I'm struggling to write this right now. I am devastated.

Attachments

336598251_235842662252272_8308482237240422313_n.jpg

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear this. I feel for ya, she's not "just a dog" they mean alot to a guy and it's tough to watch their health fail and even tougher to make the decisions that come with that.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They for sure are just like family may god be with you in these hard times. I have had 7 dogs and it never gets easier, that is my reason I have not gotten another. The last one was damn hard and yes I believe we get softer with age. I have so many friends that have great dogs and let me use them if need be, with my health I just dont get out as much either or hunt with group of guys we have plenty. Heck just reading this post my eyes are wet.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for you loss bud any of us who have had a four legged friend know what you are dealing with. My heart is heavy even typing this post out, she looks like a very nice chocolate brown girl who lived a wonderful life with you. Im a big softy too bud when it comes to my four legged unconditional love snuggle friend. Best regards friend

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sorry for your loss. Many on this site have had to make this gut-wrenching decision and it sucks beyond description. Loving and caring for our 4 legged companions should never be considered soft. Thoughts & prayers are headed your way!

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crying over your dog does not make you soft in any way, shape, or form. I'm actually crying a bit for you right now and think of my last dog. He was in tough shape with lung cancer and I made the decision to put him down. While I believe it was probably the right thing, there has since been a part of me that can't let go of the fact that I ended his life early - even if it was for a short time. Enjoy her as long as you can. There's a reason they are called man's best friend.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not that it's a replacement, but go get a pup right now if you have an inkling that your going to continue owning a dog. Sounds like you have one other now so that might be consoling when that time comes. When I lost my first brittney, it hit me awfully hard. I expected he'd be around another couple of "retirement years" even though he wasn't going to be able to hit the field any longer. I had already gotten a new pup and we were in the middle of pheasant season. New pup was still smelling flowers and chasing butterfly's, he was clueless in the field still. We lost the old guy on a Friday evening, it was brutal tough and it'll always stay with me. Canceled my hunting plans the next day and shed my share of tears. Took the pup out that Sunday to cover some Prairie, pretty much broke down several times that day walking alone putting miles on the boots. As the day wore on, walking back to the truck, the young pup up a roosty in the ditch which I brought down with wet eyes. It was a roller coaster of emotions. Time will heal your pain but even 6 years later, its rare a week doesn't go by that our old companion isn't brought up in some form or another in conversation around the house with the wife or kids.

Honostly, it's this part of K9 ownerhsip that makes me think twice about getting another. Sure sucks they have such a short time to be with us. Make the best of the time she has left and know that you provided a great life for her.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've all been there. Every time I read a thread like this I think of the last one we put down. It'll be 2 years ago this Memorial Day. They do let you know, hope she can make it through for a while, you never know.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats a really tough spot to be in. I was given kind of the same thing with my last yellow dog. Went to the vet found cancer all over but you wouldnt know he just lost a little weight. They gave him maybe 3 months. It was the opening weekend of pheasant season we were helping guide. I went out hunted that monday and boy that was the hardest day ever but he got to see the mother load we killed bunch and at 10 he hunted like he was a puppy. Finally my friend said i could leave and we went out on our own little hunt and killed one bird his last one. Went to the vet that night and sat with him and bawled as he went to sleep. Still gets me now typing this. As much as i wanted to keep him I owed it to Cedar to let him go they are so damn tough and will never give up or show pain so we have to make that hard decision. Winston and Cedars ashes both are in boxes I had made and some spread in each one of their favorite hunting spots.

The price of a good bird dog is a broken heart in the end

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was tough to read. My lab turned 12 in December but she is healthy as can be and is still extremely active but I know that she is near the end of her life and that scares the shit out of me.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear that your pal is nearing the end. It is so darn hard especially when they haven't gotten a chance to live their full life.
They are just like one of our children and I too have cried like a baby when we had to put our buddies to sleep. I feel your pain and we will pray for you both in these hard times.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
So very very sorry for you bud. There is no shame or softness in crying over your best friend. I absolutely sobbed uncontrollably when I lost my last lab. He was like my own child.

Zack had bone cancer and there was nothing we could do but wait. We made every moment with him a conscious effort to enjoy and make memories. We made a "bucket list" that all of us contributed to and crossed things off as we experienced them with him. One last fishing trip in the boat, various foods, visits to his favorite places.....

The time came when we knew and I made the dreaded appointment. The morning of his last day we fried him bacon, followed by a steak in the grease. We spent the morning in our backyard while he enjoyed his meal, said our goodbyes, and I took him to the vet. Like Kurt, I sat with him while he went to sleep. My kids were 7 and 11 so my wife took them into town to find something to take their minds off it.

Hardest morning of my life. I sobbed the whole way home. In fact, it brings a tear to my eye as I write this.

I only share to let you know you're not alone. Those of us who have experienced this know how hard it is. Prayers sent.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73