Meatloaf recipe

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone have a meatloaf recipe they love? Meat is getting so expensive, especially beef, that a guy has to try stretch it a bit. Laat few times I've made one, I've went roughly 2-1 beef to bacon. Got the cheaper ends and pieces and ground it. I usually use bloody Mary mix instead of ketchup or tomato sauce for the liquid to add more flavor, then smoke it a couple of hours. Pretty pleased with it, but wondering if anyone else has some ideas to break things up a bit.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple pounds of burger, 3 eggs, and a couple cups of Italian Bread Crumbs (your brand of choice). Enough said, my kids love it.

Same recipe works well for meatballs, again...the kids love it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1# 85% burger 1# Italian sausage 3/4 tube Town House crackers pounded into fine crumbs 2 eggs one medium onion or package of lipton onion soup mix garlic powder to taste 9X9 cake pan oven at 350 Ketchup mustard and worcestershire sauce and brown sugar for sauce. Wife does sauce so not sure of amounts. great for sandwiches with left overs. LB

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone have a meatloaf recipe they love? Meat is getting so expensive, especially beef, that a guy has to try stretch it a bit. Laat few times I've made one, I've went roughly 2-1 beef to bacon. Got the cheaper ends and pieces and ground it. I usually use bloody Mary mix instead of ketchup or tomato sauce for the liquid to add more flavor, then smoke it a couple of hours. Pretty pleased with it, but wondering if anyone else has some ideas to break things up a bit.

PD your a better man than me,congrats on your home made loaf....My local butcher does a stand -up meat loaf,50/50 beef/pork ground,some herbs added but very little I add chopped sweet onion's and a handful of pine nuts,push it all into the meat loaf already made,then use a butter knife and make a wide slip down the center of the loaf and lay a healthy bead of bbq sauce that seeps into the meat as the loaf cooks,then on the webber charcoal grill,indirect with a chunk of cherry wood for added sweet smoky flavor

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
search for "piquant sauce for meatloaf"

if you're not making it and topping with it you're missing out

my grandmother insisted on it and it's been a staple for two generations now

meatloaf without it is lame

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
search for "piquant sauce for meatloaf"

if you're not making it and topping with it you're missing out

my grandmother insisted on it and it's been a staple for two generations now

That's how my Mom would make it, best meatloaf I ever ate.

Been many yrs since I had some.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I usually sear each side of a slice of meatloaf in some butter after cooking it. Saw it on some show, and do it most of the time now. Gives it a little crust and makes it that much better.

I usually use some version of the "piquant" sauce, but have never heard it called that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
same

ate it my whole life before learning it had a name and was a common thing in some circles

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75