New Boots

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any first hand insight on a new pair of boots to be used for ice fishing? Currently use a pair of Lacrosse muck style boots but they aren’t quite cutting it. I typically fish in a flip over or hub, and ATV my way around the ice. Really only considering a pair made in the USA or at least Canada.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you can stomach the bulk and weight, baffin impact is definitely worth it. not exactly for walking long distances in. but, atv and sled or hub fishing, they would be tough to beat. bunny boots are an old mainstay too i suppose. not sure i have put my bunnys on since i got my baffins though. but, if i knew i was going to be standing in a few inches of water or slush, i would probably go that route.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I field tested these boots for Korker last year. I ran the sole with shorter metal spikes and they performed great for me on the ice. I still don't recall slipping all the way to a fall in them yet (knock on wood). I will say they aren't the warmest in conditions below zero, but Korker does make some better insulated boots. It's not like my feet got unbearingly cold, just cold. I really don't have a bad thing to say about them so far.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-korkers-neo-arctic-rubber-ice-fishing-boots/96351-OB6401BK.html

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If your feet are getting cold sitting there a 12"x24" x 2" piece of blue Styrofoam to put your feet on so that the cold from the ice don't leech up your boots is a neat trick. Your welcome. LB

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would have to check out some Baffin's if I was getting a new pair. The reviews on every other brand Lacrosse, Sorel, Muck, Korkers are all pretty hit and miss especially when it comes to durability. I believe the Baffin are still made in Canada which would give me some hope. The Korkers are intriguing but I haven't been impressed with their durability on wading boots and the reviews seem to say the same about the ice fishing boots.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have baffin Impacts and they are very warm. big and bulky though so not for hiking. they run very small. I normally wear 11-12 but ended up with 14's in baffin.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Baffin. You can't hardly find a review less than 5 stars. There is one negative for me and I'm assuming they've improved since I bought my last pair 10 years ago; but the ones I have are extremely slippery. Kinda a big deal but on their website it looks like the soles now are different than the ones I have. I just move slow and try to be careful and the comfort and warmth make up for it. Looking at their website, the most comparable to the ones I have that they currently make are probably the Derrick boots. Man, they're like feet pillows.

Always had bunny boots growing up and I very much prefer Baffins.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 25 year old Sorrels are done.
Iffn I wear a size 10 shoe, what should I get in this Baffin boot. Reviews say they run small, and a 2 size up size is what they say. Does that sound a bit much?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baffins are good but damn tough to drive with them on. They are huge.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a pair of Mucks this year...super comfortable/walked half a mile on the ice first time I wore them. Only need 1 pair of socks...feet stay warm. We'll see how they hold up...so far so good.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been very happy with my Korkers and wool socks. The modularity of the soles and the BOA system for laces make me very happy. Likely not as warm as the Baffins by any means but very happy with what I got for $250. They were a game changer.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bunny Boots were the bomb back when, just never wear them inside then go back outside, the cold seamed to be forced through. My 2 dollars. Inflation you know, LB

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 25 year old Sorrels are done.
Iffn I wear a size 10 shoe, what should I get in this Baffin boot. Reviews say they run small, and a 2 size up size is what they say. Does that sound a bit much?
yes, see post #6

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are looking for a boot that isn't supper bulky but still warm enough to stand out on the ice look at thorogood, Danner, rocky, or scheens. One thing about buying a boot that is made here or Canada you will expect to pay atleast 100 dollars more then boots that are made overseas.
I have a pair of chippewa artic that I have had for 10 years now and they are good enough to wear from hunting in the fall to hole hopping in the winter. And they are made in the USA
https://muenchcompany.com/product/9-bay-waterproof-arctic-50/

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a pair of these a few years back after trying muck and lacrosse boots. These keep my feet warm on all day trips on the ice. Difficult to drive with but i normally put them on once I'm on the lake. I have always had trouble keeping my feet warm but these seemed to solve my problems
Screenshot_20221221-091738_Chrome.jpg

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazon product

I bought these last year. Surprisingly, they are very comfortable and warm. So warm that I quite wearing wool socks with them. I don't know how long they will last, but I guess I will find out.

NodakBob

Honored Member
i use my Korkers for walking the dogs, very comfortable...have had one season and the built in spikes are half worn...may have to try and get another set of the replaceable soles...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66